Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm looking at a 93 turbo legacy, 130k, with a burned out auto tranny, i've got a few questions for ya'll, ok. I'm wanting to put a wrx 5 speed in the car, 1.Will it bolt up? 2.Whould i buy a flywheel and clutch for the leg or wrx? 3. if i could use either which would be best? 4. Will I need the rear differential from the wrx as well? 5. Where would be the best place to find a wrx intake manifold so i can use the top mount intercooler with the set up? 6. Will all the aftermarket wrx headers, and I.C. piping work or will i need to look elsewhere for that stuff too? and if i've missed anything essentail for this swap please bring it to my attention. thanks

Join us over on the BC-BF Legacy forum when you do get this VERY rare car...

I would swap a Legacy Turbo 5MT into it. A WRX tranny will fit, but I'm inclined to say the Turbo tranny is slightly stronger. Not much, but enough to consider it...

Then you can leave the stock rear diff, since your ratios will match, if you swap in WRX tranny, you might need rear diff too.

A WRX intake manifold will not fit, as is the current consensus. Not only is there no place to mount a coilpack on a WRX manifold, as WRX's are coil-on-plug, but the mounting points on the head are too different.

I do believe WRX exhaust will fit though.

But come over on the forum aforementioned. TONS of good info over there.

Originally posted by 86BRATMAN

I'm looking at a 93 turbo legacy, 130k, with a burned out auto tranny, i've got a few questions for ya'll, ok. I'm wanting to put a wrx 5 speed in the car, 1.Will it bolt up? 2.Whould i buy a flywheel and clutch for the leg or wrx? 3. if i could use either which would be best? 4. Will I need the rear differential from the wrx as well? 5. Where would be the best place to find a wrx intake manifold so i can use the top mount intercooler with the set up? 6. Will all the aftermarket wrx headers, and I.C. piping work or will i need to look elsewhere for that stuff too? and if i've missed anything essentail for this swap please bring it to my attention. thanks

the wrx 5spd will bolt up.....however you will run into diff ratio problems. The WRX uses a 1:1.1 stepper reduction. So you would need the rear diff as well from the WRX.

The t-leg & wrx trans are pretty much identical. Pretty sure they use the same clutch.

The intake manifold won't work as mentioned....the coil pack is trivial. The bolt pattern for the manifold to heads is different, not to mention the WRX has tumble valve generators, that complicate the mix more. You can squeeze in a WRX intercooler, it's been done.

Check out the bbs, as subyluvr mentioned. Lots of info over there.

WHat i would do if I were you, and you wanted to use the WRX intake manifold would be to find a good set of WRX heads, a good set of Forged pistons, Forged Rods, and some high quality rings and make a basically bulletproof engine that should be good for at least 300 horses without upgrading the fuel system. As I recall, the stock WRX system would handle just about 310 horses before the injectors wouldn't pump anymore fuel out. I have seen the EJ22T engine with upgraded internals make over 900 WHP. Or, If you really wanted to, you could buy a Version 8 STI engine from Japan and have 300 WHP right out of the box. We currently have a 1990 Legacy Wagon with a version 2 STI engine and close ratio 5 speed in it. If anyone wants to see pictures of it, let me know. I'll b e more than happy to send them out. IF you want any more information about engine upgrades, I'll do my best to answer them, or give you to someone else who can.

Mike

Also, if you are converting to a 5-speed transmission, You'll have to find a hydraulic clutch assembly from a 91-94 Turbo Legacy, a 1996-1999 Outback, or a 2002-2004 WRX. You'll need the pegal assembly, master cylinder, slave cylinder, and whatever wiring needs to be done to make the switches on the transmission work.

Mike

Thats Interesting. I did not know that. When I built the 2.2T that's goiing to go into my 1992 Legacy Wagon, I built the motor up more for piece of mind than anything else. The engine is a hybrid engine if you want to call it that. It's the 2.2T shortblock with heads from a WRX STI Version 4. The pistons are custom from JE and the rods are custom made by Pauter. I haven't installed the engine yet, but I am planning on using the stock WRX STI computer that I got with the heads. If that doesn't work, I can always wire in a link ECU or some other standalone ECU. We'll see how it goes.

The EJ22T has forged internals, including connecting rods, stock. The only thing inside that isn't forged are the pistons. But these are not cast, they are a thermalflow type, and are moly-coated. They are very strong pistons but not as strong as true forged pistons. But still very good.

Hey pacific_import_auto, do you have any pics of your car and engine? I'm very interested in seeing your car. Are you on http://bbs.legacycentral.org ?

Mark,