Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Results of the "laying on of the eyeball" to the '84 BRAT. (bit long) edit in link

First off, I have a proplem in the electrical system. She wouldn't even offer to turn over this morning, when I wanted to put her in the garage. Started right up with a jump though. Battery is a good one, and has been starting the '86 right along, so I'm sure it's something with the '84s wiring. Re-did the battery cables and connections, but still won't turn over with out a jump, or the battery charger on it. Grrrr!

After I got her in the garage, I found a major vacuum leak, and fixed it, took care of the 3000RPM idle problem. Still have slight leak on that line, but I'll be replacing all of the vacuum lines anyways. She now starts right up and idles like she should. Other than the don't want to crank with out a jump ordeal, that is.

Pulled a compression check, engine somewhat cold. Did this to verify bad Head Gasket. Cranked the engine with a jumper wire on the starter. No problem cranking there. Hmmm?!?

#1-165

#2-170

#3-145

#4-150

Don't sound bad for a supposed bad HG, now does it? Kinda odd that the front cylinders are higher than the rear ones.

I cleaned the (Autolite 63) plugs and put them back in. Topped off the radiator level, and fired her up, and let her run. Found the reason for over-heating, bad heater hose. Put in a small section of good hose, re-filled the radiator, and fired it back up.

Let her sit there idling for an hour or so, no further problems with over-heating. Checked out all the lights, radio, heater controls, crawled around under her, just scoping things out while she was running.

She's got the normal Mid West rust on her, but not as bad as some I've seen. Rockers, rear wheel wells, lower A-pillar, door bottoms, the splash shields beside the front skid plate. Other than that, she looks good.

Have to pull the heater blower and evict the mouse nest in there, then clean it out good.

HooooWeeee! does it smell bad when you turn on the heat.

Going to replace all of the cooling system hoses, don't know why that wasn't done before. Has new radiator, waterpump, T-stat. Give a fresh tune-up with NGK plugs, good wires, may do the Accel coil if money permits. Replace all of the vacuum lines, PCV valve, and all of the filters.

Don't really know how much gas is in the tank, she's reading above a 1/4 tank, but the low-fuel light is on. Hmmmm?!? But I'm going to fill her up with some fresh gas, then add some fuel system cleaner to the tank, just to clean out the gunk from sitting.

Have to replace the PS drive axle, bad boot, DS axle is new. The Y-pipe is a newer used one, and the rest of the exhaust system is new. Yea!! Y-pipe has an O2 sensor in it, but don't think it's needed on this engine, didn't find a wire for it anywhere. Going to get some new battery cables, and see if that helps the no-crank delema. Also have to get some new wiper blades, they be toast.

Had one flat tire on her when we went to pick her up, have to see what's up there. Could just be bad rim seal.

Once all of the above maint/repair stuff is done, the Wife will be driving it daily. She's patiently waiting for me to get it done.

Yea right!

Photo link:

http://usmb.net/gallery/albuo81/Driver1

Tom sounds/looks like a worthwhile trip and a nice find.

On the no crank, my 85 did this when I got it, seemed the higher voltage of the jump

would let it crank to start with the key, but with just it's own battery, mine would not crank.

Mine turned out to be the ignition switch feed connecter.

This pink six wire connector under the sterring col. had visible burn marks.

I found this on McBrat's sug, and did as he suggested,

put a jumper wire around the connection.

Has not failed since.

You sound like you have a handle on this one, but thought it may be one more place to check.

Good luck on the conversion.

Pulled the heater blower out, trashed the mouse nest, washed everything down with Murphy's Oil soap. Smells goooooood now!

Wife got home from work, and walked into the garage. First she has really seen the BRAT up close. Lots of Oooooo's and Aaaaah's. She's happy with it.

Aired up the soft front tire, then aired the one for the rear. It's not on the BRAT, just sitting there in the garage. Just want to see ifin it will hold air.

Got the BRAT down of the jackstands. Wife fired it up, and drove it up and down the block a few times. She got a case of BRATitis, and wanted to drive it more. So it was off to get Plates and Insurance on it. Be road legal now.

Put some fresh gas in it, along with some fuel system cleaner, and went for a drive. It has over a1/2 tank now, but the low-fuel light is still on, !?!?

Slight vibration there at 55mph, feel it in the seat, could be the PS axle. Other than that, she runs good. Handling is crisp, brakes are excellant, ride is comfortable, for a BRAT that is. Drove around for 30 miles, or so, with a stop at the local watering hole to show-off the newest ride. Everyone that was there likes the look of it, especially the interior. No idication of wanting to over-heat at all. Stayed right in the middle on the gauge. Cool!!!

Del was going to drive it in to work today, but changed her mind this morning. Wants me to finish tinkering with it. I think she's got the Soob-bug now. :)

Skip,

Thought of that connector myself, havin't looked into it as yet. But going to.

She cranked over on her own, atleast 7 times yesterday. Cotton-pickin gremlins anyways!!!