Ultimate Subaru Message Board

d/r 4speed seems toasted -> likely 5speed swap

84 hatch w/ spfi'ed ea81 and (obviously) d/r 4speed

i would really like to put a d/r 5speed in there to compliment the spfi but unless someone in cen-cal can practically give me a d/r 5speed, other financial demands won't permit me to for now. so i need to fix my 4speed or replace it with another until i can eventually swap in a 5.

here's the situation:

when i back out of my driveway then put the clutch in the tranny sounds like its winding down or something. its hard to describe but just as the clutch disengages the tranny makes a rather loud, continuous sound - maybe the diff or tranny internals. its not a grinding or clanking, just sounds like noisy gears spinning together if that makes sense.

then, when i put it in first and take off, there's a definite clunk that speeds up with vehicle speed and is noticeable until its drowned out by other noise. maybe clunk is too harsh, its like a click almost or in between click and clunk. its not cv's - i replaced both front axles a couple months ago and adjusted the clutch cable a few weeks ago. the sound was there before i worked on it and its coming from the tranny area.

the front axle stub seals are both far beyond gone and i'd bet the thing was run dry for a long time before i got it, and that was in tuolumne county (mountainous). i keep it topped off with gear oil now but it doesn't help much and man that thing just pisses it right out. i'm thinking the front diff is toast or maybe the whole tranny so i don't wanna waste new seals and all on it if it is.

all this is in 2wd, of course. i haven't ever driven the hatch in 4wd yet, mostly cuz there's nowhere to play around here but also cuz i'm kinda scared it won't work. the tranny shifts through all the gears just fine with very little slop and aside from these noises it drives fine. the d/r shifter moves fine, too. its been years since my last subaru but i don't remember my old 83 wagon with same engine/tranny making this much noise.

this is going to be my dd as soon as its smogged and since i absolutely can't be stranded before work i need it reliable. seems like i should go snag the d/r 4speed at the local pick-n-pull and hope for the best...any opinions/suggestions? is there some mix of bat dung and albumen or something that will help - like a scotty's for the diff?

It's toast - once the front diff is sloppy like that it's done. Only a matter of time before you strip the pinion.

Scotty's is no good for diffs - in fact it is worse for diffs than plain gear oil. It's somewhere between a gear oil and a manual transmission lube - less sulfer than a gear oil, better for syncro's, but not for diffs. On a good transmission it's not a big issue - even if you do shorten it's life somewhat it's a decent trade for fast, smooth shifting.

And at $40 a pop to fill a tranny.... no good if it's leaking as much as you say.

Fill it with sawdust and drive it till you can afford a 5 speed :rolleyes:

GD

Fill it with sawdust and drive it till you can afford a 5 speed :rolleyes:

wow, that's an old trick! i'm talking to jerry right now about getting a kit for the swap. from what i've read i'd need:

d/r 5speed transmission

jerry's crossmember kit

ea82 flywheel modified for ea81 crank bolts

new clutch set

need to have my driveshaft sortened

i'd also replace the rear seal, tranny seals, and tranny mounts

is this all of it for putting a d/r 5speed into a hatch?

what about shifters and linkage? jerry's kit lets you use the 4speed's d/r lever but what about the gear shifter? how much of the linkage, etc. do you need?

can i use any ea82 flywheel?

will the ea81 starter work?

i know there's tons of threads/posts but my son is screaming for attention and i don't have time to search thoroughly. if we could go over this yet again i'd appreciate it cuz i really need to know everything that i'd have to spend money on (or that i'd want to, being as anal as i am) before i start spending anything. btw, my car has no lift and i don't plan on adding that for a long while but down the road i will for sure, if that changes anything. thanks guys

wow, that's an old trick! i'm talking to jerry right now about getting a kit for the swap. from what i've read i'd need:

d/r 5speed transmission

jerry's crossmember kit

Yes - highly reccomend his kit. I have one in my Brat behind an SPFI EA82 and it works great.

ea82 flywheel modified for ea81 crank bolts

You can use the EA81 flywheel (that's my preference), the EA82 disc, and the EA81 pressure plate. It will work either way.

Also I have used plain unmodified EA82 flywheel's and as long as you eyeball the bolt holes to the center and lock them down with loctite blue (242 or 248) then you'll be fine. The EA82 flywheel has the advantage of being compatible with the XT6 pressure plate if you have it resurfaced to those specs.

new clutch set

New disc anyway. I've reused many pressure plates without issue.

need to have my driveshaft sortened

That is the easiest way, yes.

i'd also replace the rear seal, tranny seals, and tranny mounts

Jerry's kit comes with tranny mounts. I wouldn't worry about the seals unless it shows obvious signs of leakage.

is this all of it for putting a d/r 5speed into a hatch?

Pretty much except for linkage and wireing.

what about shifters and linkage? jerry's kit lets you use the 4speed's d/r lever but what about the gear shifter? how much of the linkage, etc. do you need?

You use the bone stock 5 speed shift linkage from an EA82 and the 4 speed 4WD lever with 1" added to the length of the actuator rod from the 4 speed. It bolts straight together and the body mount for the 5 speed linkage "tray" is already on your hatch - the EA81 2WD 5 speed used the same linkage mount so it already exists on the floorpan.

can i use any ea82 flywheel?

Has to be a 4WD flywheel. The EA82 2WD flywheels are 200mm rather than 225mm.

will the ea81 starter work?

Same starter from 1980 (EA81's) through the EJ's of the late 90's anyway. Not sure about the really new stuff. EA81/EA82/ER27 are basically identical.

GD