Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Superoo 72 GL racecar

I think you guys are going to like this one. I was asked at the Carlisle show about doing this car. The owner sent me a few pics and I agreed to take on the project. It's a 72 GL. It was the first factory backed Subaru race car in the US. The owner has some old magazine articles from 1972 about it.

A lot of things have been changed in it over the years. It looks like it was last run in the late 80's in SCCA GT-4. At that point it had a supercharger on it and a VW beetle trans in it. Right now it has a stock EA81 just sitting in it with nothing hooked up and a D/R 5 speed of all things just sitting in there, with a big hole cut in the trans tunnel and just resting on the crossmember.

I have the engine and the supercharger that were previously in it. I'm trying to figure out what it is and what's in it. I think it's an EA63 with an aftermarket cam and some headporting, it's supposed to have major water leaks.

I think it might be best to stick with the EA81 for now, I'm going to pull both engines apart and see what condition they are in. I got a full factory subaru gasket set with it, not sure which engine it's for.

Obviously nothing works as far as brakes etc. The wiring is a mess. Body is really not bad at all. There are some really wide maybe 8" or so 13" steel wheels for racing slicks.

My job is to get it running and stopping. I'm going to take inventory of all the parts tomorrow and see what I have to work with. Some stuff I know I will need is an EA fwd trans and axles to fit it. I was told by the owner the EA81 axles were too long. I'm also going to need a clutch cable and all the brackets etc, it still has some sort of a hydralic VW clutch setup in there. If anyone has a FWD EA trans, gen 1 length axles or the clutch cable parts let me know. I'd even consider a fwd parts car if it was cheap.

superoo001.jpg

This is the engine that was in it when it was last raced. I think it's an EA63? If you can identify it let me know. I can take pics of anything needed to help identify it.

superoo002.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EA63 for sure, note the coolant pass over that has a separated piece with a hose instead of a single solid piece of aluminum (EA71's have the solid cross over pipe).

It looks like the heads have some MAJOR porting! :eek:

BTW, this car was on ebay a few years ago, here are the pics from when it was on Ebay:

e9_1.jpg

e8_1.jpg

79_1.jpg

fb_1.jpg

5d_1.jpg

bf_1.jpg

93_1.jpg

6e_1.jpg

The owner sent me a few of those pics. Not much has changed since then except it now has a stock EA81 just sitting in there with the D/R 5 speed. Not sure why it ended up with a 4wd trans. I'm going to yank the whole mess back out tomorrow and take inventory of what's there and what's missing.

I'm reading up on the supercharger it had on it now. It's a Judson, I know that much. It's a VW unit. Somebody made up the intake manifold and put the sidedraft weber on it. From what I can tell it's on the small side for an EA63. It was made for 1200cc VW's.

I think it might run better with the E81 and get a weber 32/36 than with the supercharged EA63.

BTW, I see clutch cables for mid-late 70's scoobs on Ebay all the time. Here is one for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CA889-Clutch-Cable-Subaru-72-73-74-75-76-77-78-79-80_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46104QQihZ021QQitemZ310004628528QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

As for the transmission, i'd go for a 5-speed FWD transmission if you can find one. If you want to stick with 4-speeds though, I've got a complete list of gear ratios for the 4-speed FWD's if that is important for the project.

The EA81 is probably a good idea, fits fine in the engine bay and operates as simple as the other early EA motors so wiring will be just as simple. If he wants performance, go with the Weber 38/38 over the 32/36.

P.S. if the owner doesnt want that Supercharger setup anymore, i'd be ver interested in buying it from him :grin:

AWESOME! Whatever you do, I hope you keep the original graphics. SUPEROO!

That actually isn't the the original paint scheme. It was white with stripes when it was raced in the 70's it gained the supercharger and the yellow paint with the superoo graphics in the 80's.

I'm not doing any paint work to it, I think he plans to keep it as it is.

Awesome. Any idea of the weight of the car?

The curb weight of a 72 GSR coupe with 4-speed manual is 1845lbs (source: SOA Service manual). The Japanese specifications for that same model (IE JDM model) is 1675lbs, but i'm not sure what exactly was changed.

With everything striped down, i'm sure it weighs less than that, but this car also has a full roll cage (heavy) and a few other bits that might increase weight slightly, so I think with the stripped interior + cage its probably in the 1600lbs range.

The curb weight of a 72 GSR coupe with 4-speed manual is 1845lbs (source: SOA Service manual). The Japanese specifications for that same model (IE JDM model) is 1675lbs, but i'm not sure what exactly was changed.

With everything striped down, i'm sure it weighs less than that, but this car also has a full roll cage (heavy) and a few other bits that might increase weight slightly, so I think with the stripped interior + cage its probably in the 1600lbs range.

I would say you're right, this car has a really heavy cage in it. It's old school, all steel no chromemoly and lot of extra bracing added, double door bars, bars through the firewall to the strut towers etc.

I'm still looking for a trans for it, planning to hit some yards tomorrow. I think I figured out a source for axles.

I checked for FWD trans around here yesterday at the PnP's, came up empty unless you want a Auto or a 5-speed from a late 80's model :-\

What's the differences in the trans from gen 1 to the later ones. I've been mostly looking for something from a Gen 1 or Gen 2. I think an EA82 uses a different clutch and flywheel? One place near me has a fwd trans from an XT already out for $80 buy it now on the bay. I'm going to the U pull it later today to look.

I got a trans for it today. It was from a Gen 2 '80 2wd wagon with an EA71. It's a 5 speed too. It shifted all gears fine, the pedal felt good and the car died from rust. They had it up on a bock and it just about snapped in half, the roof was the only thing holding it together. I grabbed everything, shifter, clutch cable, pedal, clutch, starter, flywheel, even got the plate off the back of the EA71 in case it was different. I think the Gen 1 trans mount is different, might need to get one of those or make something up.

transmission.jpg

What's the differences in the trans from gen 1 to the later ones. I've been mostly looking for something from a Gen 1 or Gen 2. I think an EA82 uses a different clutch and flywheel? One place near me has a fwd trans from an XT already out for $80 buy it now on the bay. I'm going to the U pull it later today to look.

Well the major difference was the starter location and case design starting with the EA81 trannys, but the internals I believe are basically the same for the 4-speed FWD's going all the way up until they stop being produced (at least according to the service manual diagrams).

I got a trans for it today. It was from a Gen 2 '80 2wd wagon with an EA71. It's a 5 speed too. It shifted all gears fine, the pedal felt good and the car died from rust. They had it up on a bock and it just about snapped in half, the roof was the only thing holding it together. I grabbed everything, shifter, clutch cable, pedal, clutch, starter, flywheel, even got the plate off the back of the EA71 in case it was different. I think the Gen 1 trans mount is different, might need to get one of those or make something up.

transmission.jpg

That will work perfect!

Yes, the transmission brace does change, you kind of need the appropriate one for that car, but i'm not sure exactly how the 5-speed mounts compared to the 4-speed, ill take a look here in a sec.

Well after checking the manuals, I can't tell exactly where the transmission bolts to the car on the 5-speeds...

If its on the case itself, it will be the same as the 4-speed, but if it bolts up using the rear housing, then it will be different.

I found a pic of a gen 1 trans in the car. It's from moosens pics. I have the gen 1 crossmember, the one in the gen 2 car I got the trans out of was way different, I didn't even bother to get it. The gen 2 trans I got has mounts on both side of the case. It's looking like I will have to make up some sort of a trans mount. It sort of looks like the gen 1 trans mounts to the rear extension part. Believe it or not this thing has solid motor mounts in it. I don't know if it's something somebody made up or a race part from back in the day.

Img1530.JPG

I'm still trying to figure out what rear brakes it has, it's got rear discs. They look like subaru brakes, but I though gen one was rear drum only. Mayeb they are some sort of jdm brakes from it's early days as a factory backed race car. I'll try and post a pic of them soon. I have to find kits to rebuild the calipers.

Ya, see in that pic the transmission crossmember bolts to the rear housing case on the transmission, not the transmission case... The 5-speed has a TOTALLY different rear housing compared to the 4-speeds.

However, fabricating a mount isnt a huge deal anyway :-p

Rear discs??? Well, I guess its possible they were converted later, but I don't recall ANY 1970's scoobs even in Japan with rear discs. People have done rear disc conversions on gen-1's before (using 80's parts though).

Is there such a thing as a 5spd 4WD trans that will bolt to a ea71? I'd LOVE to have a 5spd in my 79 BRAT, but would like to keep the 4WD also.

Thanks,

Jon

yes there is. an guy i sell some bits an pieces too, he services an 1985 1600 Omega wagon has 5spd 4wd in it

First, I apologize for hijacking the thread. All the transmission talk had me thinking about the 5spd. I am curious if anyone has one they are interested in selling? I am definitely interested if someone has one.

Jon

Rear discs??? Well, I guess its possible they were converted later, but I don't recall ANY 1970's scoobs even in Japan with rear discs. People have done rear disc conversions on gen-1's before (using 80's parts though).

The 1972 Subaru RX coupe (Like a GSR but more 'competition orientated') came standard with 4-wheel disc brakes in Japan. Also had the five speed manual. These brakes are, to look at, nothing like the later turbo models that people retro-fit.

The chrome was toned down on this model too. There was no chrome in the window gaskets the windscreen wipers are also black. There were 'RX' stickers on some and a rear badge on others, depending on the year.

The advertising brochure I have for the 1974 model pushes the 5 speeds/4 discs.My favourite though is the brochure for the 1972 model it states the following;

FRONT ENGINE FRONT DRIVE/FLAT FOUR ENGINE/5-SPEED TRANSMISSION/4-DISC BRAKE HARD SUSPENSION/QUICK STEERING/BLOCK PATTERN RADIAL 155SR-13 (I love the block pattern bit!). Unfortunately the rest is in Japanese so I cannot read it:-\, but I can still look at the pictures!