Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Getting the ignition control module out

Do I have to remove the distributor to take out the control module? I took the cap and rotor off but there is a part above the module that is shaped kind of like a star that doesn't seem to come off. Any suggestions?

84 gl ea81

Do I have to remove the distributor to take out the control module? I took the cap and rotor off but there is a part above the module that is shaped kind of like a star that doesn't seem to come off. Any suggestions?

84 gl ea81

Carefully pry the star off with two flat-headed screwdrivers under each side.

Discon Neg Bat first, of course!

Steve

Sounds like you have the Hitachi distributor. ND disty's are quite different. Once you have the star shaped piece out, removing/replacing the ignitor is quite easy. Hold on to your hat when you see the price: $80 to $250 aftermarket; I've never bought on OEM. I have a collection of them that I picked up at PAP over the years. All my EA81 vehicles had a spare in the glove box. They start to fail intermittantly--car runs crappy and/or no spark at all. Quick fix for on the road.

When you replace it, make sure the two vertical blades on either side of the star shaped piece have the same gap on both side (point to blade) since that will determine the spark pulse firing.