Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Loose rear view mirror

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lhrocker

lhrocker

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • New Jersey

Posted 30 December 2003 - 12:55 PM

The rear view mirror in my 95 Legacy is very loose and whenver I use the glare lever at night, the entire mirror will move. Is there an easy way to tighten the mirror at the joint somehow?

Thanx,
Peter

#2 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 30 December 2003 - 03:06 PM

There is no adjustment feature, but you can snap off the mirror and jam a pice of paper or similar in the ball joint, to keep the mirror still.

Good luck :D

And Happy New Year!

#3 newsooby

newsooby

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Massachusetts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 03:36 PM

There is (supposed to be) a thin round metal plate on the inside/back of the socket assembly that keeps the ball from moving freely.

Have you ever disassembled the ball and socket assembly before? Usually when people disassemble it, this piece of metal falls out unnoticed. When they reassemble it, the mirror is all loose and floppy.

It is possible the metal piece is still in there and is just "punched in." If it is still in there, disassemble the socket assembly, slip the disk out of the holding slot, flatten it as much as possible, reinsert it into the slot it came from, and reassemble the whole thing.

I posted a more detailed description on this board a few years ago (!!!). Try searching on "rearview mirror" or by newsooby.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information.

#4 lhrocker

lhrocker

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • New Jersey

Posted 30 December 2003 - 04:16 PM

Thanx for all the info. I'll try to take the rearview apart when I get home to look at it.

#5 Sydfloyd44

Sydfloyd44

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 153 posts
  • Central PA

Posted 30 December 2003 - 05:55 PM

I have a 95 Legacy also and I went thru the same thing. Check the hinge closest to the mirror. It tightens with a Torx from the passenger side.

#6 lhrocker

lhrocker

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • New Jersey

Posted 31 December 2003 - 10:58 AM

After removing the torx screw, I found that that the plastic that was around the joint had cracked - the metal plate was intact. I just glued the plastic piece back together and reassembled and now everything is tight again.

Thanx for all your help,
Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users