Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea 82 ohc engine wont start

might help to get some more details, what is it doing when you try to start it, or what isnt it doing?

also, double check all your connections, ive noticed that the distributor plug can easily go un-noticed and remain unplugged. also double check your timing belts, make sure the distributor is set to top dead center of #1 (front passenger side), and also make sure that the engine harness is tight, ive had that one slip loose before on mine.

other than that, i cant think of anything else with out knowing the symptoms.

the distributer is set to tdc of #1 and is sparking at all cylinders. to do the valve timing i used the post from the manual section and seems to be set right. when i go to start it it just turns over, you can smell fuel. and i checked the spark. if you turn the dist. to ajust timing it makes no diff. i keep thinkin i mised something on the valve timing, but cant figure it out.

thanks for the help.

the distributer is set to tdc of #1 and is sparking at all cylinders. to do the valve timing i used the post from the manual section and seems to be set right. when i go to start it it just turns over, you can smell fuel. and i checked the spark. if you turn the dist. to ajust timing it makes no diff. i keep thinkin i mised something on the valve timing, but cant figure it out.

thanks for the help.

i could see it being out by one tooth but even then it should still kinda run.

ive seen it not fire it the timing belts arent right, even just one of em.

one thing a lot of people sometimes get caught up on, did you make sure to do the timing belts opposite of each other? when its timed for tdc on #1, the dot should be pointing up on that cam and down on the other cam gear.

only reason i remembered this is cause ive missed that one before as well.

good luck man, im sure someone else will chime in and give some better info than i can, but for the moment, thats all i can think of.

Did you use the valve timing marks or the ignition timing marks when you put on the belts?

Here's the rules:

1. Flywheel at the center of the three vertical lines on the flywheel (valve timing marks).

2. Drivers side cam mark (dot, hole, whatever you call it) straight up.

3. Passenger side cam mark straight down.

4. Install both belts and tension (don't move the cams).

5. TDC #1 on compression stroke (both valves closed - finger over plug hole test).

6. Turn flywheel BACK to your desired timing (8 for carbs, 20 for SPFI, ect).

7. Install disty with rotor pointing at whichever plug tower you wish to be #1.

8. Install wires counter clockwise from tower #1 in the fireing order 1,3,2,4.

Done.

P.S. - make sure the crank sprockets are on in the correct order. The one with the groove for the lip seal goes on the inside.

GD