Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Legacy (LSI) designation

Hi I have a 1992 Legacy LSI. I hit a Trailblazer when he made a lefthand turn on a red arrow. I would like to ask what does the LSI designation stand for and the difference between the LS and LSI. My service manual indicates wheel and rim size of 15 inch.

Other than that not much else. When I bought the Legacy from Don Jacobs I was told that the car is rare, if so how many were made. Bluebook only has Legacy LS with nothing on the LSI. Thank Happy New Year to you all.

I have to disagree with Josh.

I have found the First Gen Legacy LSi to be pretty rare.. I have found this through actually trying to find one. they are a bit more common 95 and later.

The LSi is the top of the line.. leather and all that jazz. But for all that, it is still just a difference in trim package.

Thanks Josh for your help. I am leaning towards LSI as a incorrect vehicle attribute.

This LSI might be generic term for Turbo charged with the LS features. Even the

term Sport Sedan is generic. This ambiguity is not helping me. I will post some data

later. Subaru Rocks :o)

The actual term for your car is "LE Touring Wagon" or "Sport sedan". I know what you mean by no listing for it. Check for the LE and you'll find what you need on it. They aren't extremely rare but are getting harder to find. I believe the only option they didn't get was leather. They have everything else that I am aware of.

Originally posted by Qman

The actual term for your car is "LE Touring Wagon" or "Sport sedan". I know what you mean by no listing for it. Check for the LE and you'll find what you need on it. They aren't extremely rare but are getting harder to find. I believe the only option they didn't get was leather. They have everything else that I am aware of.

Ken, I think he has an LSi, not a turbo...:D

Ken's right that the LE Touring wagon and Ports Sedan had almost everything, but thats a different beast than an LSi, the did have everything.. except a turbo.

EDIT: I just checked, and Kelley Blue Book lists 1993 as the first year for the LSi wagon . It also says that its worth about $1000 more than an LS of the same year...

However it does list a 1992 LSi Sedan....

Hi thanks to all who responded to my Question. I found out

that the VIN number correlates to Sport Sadan Not LSI. It

does have leather but no power seats no air bags. Grill

is painted same color body and has premium wheel pakage

15 inch rims and all the bells and whistles. I did find one

in Michigan at a dealership that posted the sales record.

1992 Subaru Legacy Sport-Sedan Awd Turbo 5 Speed

Sales Record for the U.S. Market Was:

1991- 58 (5 Speeds) 149 (Automatics)

1992- 6 (5 Speeds) 5 (Automatics)

1993- 25 (5 Speeds) 45 (Automatics)

1994-170 (5 Speeds) 230 (Automatics)

So I would say my car is rare in the USA. Not sure if the numbers

are correct. In conclusion I hope all that read this will know more

about LSI/Sport Sedan designation. Its not 100% fact, but

I think its close to the mark. Subarus Rock :-)