Ultimate Subaru Message Board

While checking out my check engine light today I noticed that the inner CV boot is tore in half on one frount axle. I checked a couple of other threads on this and was wondering if new axles and boots are the way to go? My Outback has 150,000 miles on it and I am pretty sure that they have never been replaced and I hate doing anything twice when you can do it once and be done with it, and since CCR is just over the hill from me I think that I would go with their axles. Any suggestions.

Jim

While checking out my check engine light today I noticed that the inner CV boot is tore in half on one frount axle. I checked a couple of other threads on this and was wondering if new axles and boots are the way to go? My Outback has 150,000 miles on it and I am pretty sure that they have never been replaced and I hate doing anything twice when you can do it once and be done with it, and since CCR is just over the hill from me I think that I would go with their axles. Any suggestions.

Jim

I just had the same problem. I ordered boot kit and a GCK axle on amazon (no core cost). I installed the new axle (quality seems good) and I will eventually rebuild the original axle.

rebooting while still attached to the hub just seemed a pain since I don't have a lift or garage and would rather clean everything up right inside.

I would do just the one complete axle. I don't bother with replacing just boots much. You'll probably be ok with just one if the other isn't making noise or anything. Usually the right inner boot goes bad from heat, being so close to the converter.

Probably on the passenger side above the catalytic converter, right? Inner ones tend to go first. My right inner boot went at 6 yearts/90k miles and the driver's side inner boot went year later.

If you discovered the split before any serious contamination, I would replace the boots on both alxles and rotate them. These OEM NTN half shafts hold up pretty well.

Yes, it is the passenger side inner one. I haven't crawled under the car yet to check the divers side one so I'm not sure how that one looks. As far as the joint itself I don't think that I'll risk it lasting. My daily commute this last year was through a lot of snow and ice not to mention the magcloride that they spray on the roads here so I'll proably go with the rebuilt axle.

Jim