Ultimate Subaru Message Board

water pump, or no?,83 GL WAGON

oK, just noticed a noise coming from the water pump area, like someone is taking a wrench to it every couple of seconds. But as i look at the temp gauge, there is no change, so at least that seems all right. My question is, the waterpump, has it seen it 's last days, and should i look for any other clues, before i dispose of this one? my car is an 83 gl wagon, non turbo, any advice would be aprreciated. thanx alot!!

Yep - temp won't change till you start leaking and lose enough coolant to change it. However - the bearing can fail totally and lock up - if that were to happen the belt would slip and cause an awful ruckess - probably would overheat at that point.

Get one from a JY - they take about 5 minutes to remove - 10mm socket, and a screwdriver and pliers for the hose clamps..... you can get new gaskets but I just use RTV - seems to work fine. Look for some at the JY that don't have any perceptible shaft play. You can get em for about $5 probably, and I would get a couple - that way you have a backup. Make sure upon installation to have the belt at the proper tension - too tight will cause bearing failure - too loose will cause belt slippage, and possible overheating.

Oh - and before you go changing water pumps - check out that belt. The way you worded it "every few seconds" sounds beltish. I've had belts that sqeak because of fraying in one spot...

GD