Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

water pump, or no?,83 GL WAGON

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tompalushock

tompalushock

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • florida

Posted 30 December 2003 - 07:39 PM

oK, just noticed a noise coming from the water pump area, like someone is taking a wrench to it every couple of seconds. But as i look at the temp gauge, there is no change, so at least that seems all right. My question is, the waterpump, has it seen it 's last days, and should i look for any other clues, before i dispose of this one? my car is an 83 gl wagon, non turbo, any advice would be aprreciated. thanx alot!!

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,351 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 30 December 2003 - 07:54 PM

i would remove it and replacemnt
the pulley on my 83 wagon fell off, because the shaft had worn down
problem developed rapidly and did not last long before broken

#3 Partsman

Partsman

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • sunny Eugene, OR

Posted 30 December 2003 - 09:27 PM

If it sounds like the water pump, then it probably is the water pump. Imminent bearing failure won't cause temp readings to go up - just noises. Pump is $35 new, $22 reman at NAPA.

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 30 December 2003 - 11:16 PM

Yep - temp won't change till you start leaking and lose enough coolant to change it. However - the bearing can fail totally and lock up - if that were to happen the belt would slip and cause an awful ruckess - probably would overheat at that point.

Get one from a JY - they take about 5 minutes to remove - 10mm socket, and a screwdriver and pliers for the hose clamps..... you can get new gaskets but I just use RTV - seems to work fine. Look for some at the JY that don't have any perceptible shaft play. You can get em for about $5 probably, and I would get a couple - that way you have a backup. Make sure upon installation to have the belt at the proper tension - too tight will cause bearing failure - too loose will cause belt slippage, and possible overheating.

Oh - and before you go changing water pumps - check out that belt. The way you worded it "every few seconds" sounds beltish. I've had belts that sqeak because of fraying in one spot...

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users