Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

5 speed swap

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 94commuter

94commuter

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • olympia wa

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:09 PM

I've been through search a few times and found lists of needed parts, but i was wondering if there is a step by step on this anywhere? ( ea82 auto to ea82 five speed) thanks!

#2 Phizinza

Phizinza

Yip yip

• Members
  • 3,872 posts
  • South Australia

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:42 PM

From Similar threads at the bottom of this page:
http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=52234
http://www.ultimates...ead.php?t=11762

#3 hatchsub

hatchsub

Currently Subaru-less :(

• Members
  • 2,627 posts
  • Guilford

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:50 PM

Here is the writeup that i did when i did this swap. I did it on an EA81 sedan but most if not all aspects should be the same for the EA82

http://ultimatesubar...ead.php?t=69534

Hope that answers all questions.

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,058 posts
  • WV

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:14 PM

mr. radon over on the subaruxt forum did a auto to manual conversion on an XT6, should be very similar since EA82 and XT6 transmissions, driveline, and rear ends are interchangeable.

i'm not sure if it matters but a 3AT verses a 4EAT auto (both offered in EA82's) might make a difference? might want to post what vehicle and/or trans you have now.

#5 94commuter

94commuter

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • olympia wa

Posted 08 June 2008 - 08:00 PM

thanks for the replies! just for clarification this is a loyale 4wd with a 3at. I've discovered trans fluid in the front differential and I assume its a failed seal that i've read about on the forum elsewhere. seems like the manual swap is definetely the way to go versus repair of the automatic. thanks.

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 08 June 2008 - 09:18 PM

I've discovered trans fluid in the front differential and I assume its a failed seal that i've read about on the forum elsewhere.

1. Those rarely fail.

2. Have you drained it and filled it with the proper respective fluids and made sure it wasn't just a mistake by a previous owner and/or shop?

3. Trans fluid in the front diff won't neccesarily hurt it for quite a while. You may get 10's of thousands of miles out of it before the front diff goes. Many of us run ATF in our manual transmissions (same front diff style) on purpose in order to clean/renew the syncro's. It's not detrimental to their life in a big way.

4. If/when you do the swap, it's simple. Pedal assembly (4 bolts, and some cables/brake rod), clutch/cable/flywheel, front section of the driveline, rear end if you need it (ratio change?), cross-member, shift linkage, jumper two pins on the 3AT harness for the crank circuit, and install interior consoles.

GD

#7 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 20,058 posts
  • WV

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:40 PM

i imagine the 3AT is a bit easier than the 4EAT, or simpler at least?
does he have to do the wiring for the reverse lights to work?
you might need the starter too?

it's really nice to do this swap using a parts car. keep your eye out, they aren't hard to find really cheap or free.

#8 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:30 AM

does he have to do the wiring for the reverse lights to work?

Yeah - if he wants them he'll have to find the reverse switch on the tranny and run wires to the old 3AT connector. Not a huge deal though.

you might need the starter too?

Nope.

it's really nice to do this swap using a parts car. keep your eye out, they aren't hard to find really cheap or free.

Always best that way, but the 4WD 3AT to 4WD 5 speed is about as simple as they get. Probably only two or three trips to the junk yard :lol:

GD

#9 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 20,058 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:34 AM

Probably only two or three trips to the junk yard :lol:

GD

MAAHAHHAAA!!!!! awesome morning laugh!

0 user(s) are reading this topic