Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I live in a part of the country where we only get about 2 or 3 snow storms a year, averaging about 3- 6 inches. Since my garage is too small to store snow tires, I was wondering what is a good all season tire to use on my 2003 Legacy Outback H6 3.0 VDC Wagon?

Consumer Reports did a report on All Season tires in November of 2001. They tested a wide range of premium, midline and economy tires. Depending on your budget and preferences, this article may help and your library should have it. The Kelly Navigator had good performance, price, and is “T” speed rated.

I'm partial to Michelin tires myself.

I wore out a set of X-Ones on my 97 OB. Put 160k km on them and still had some tread left.

I'm seeing good reports on the new HydroEdge tires.

I'm currently running Toyo 800 Ultras. Pretty good tire, a lot like the X-Ones, but I don't know if I'd buy them again. I've been constantly battling a very slight vibration issue with them.

The ones I mention here are all long life tires (eg wear rating of 700). I go for these since I put on over 60k km a year.

Commuter

My mom's running Toyos on her outback. I think they're 800 Ultras or something like that. Great traction in dirt/on pavement and quite good in snow (no trouble going through dry snow coming over the hood). However, they kinda suck on ice, but that may just be relative to the awesome tires I've got on my car.

My ONE piece of advice for tires that will see any snow or ice action is get the narrowest tires that you can mount on your rims. It makes such a difference in traction, and your car won't get thrown around or try to plane on top of slush or heavy snow. And subarus are light enough that you can get away with running relatively narrow tires in the summer as well and maintain good handling characteristics.

Originally posted by anthonmas

I live in a part of the country where we only get about 2 or 3 snow storms a year, averaging about 3- 6 inches. Since my garage is too small to store snow tires, I was wondering what is a good all season tire to use on my 2003 Legacy Outback H6 3.0 VDC Wagon?

Continental ContiExtremeContact. Excellent in wet and dry, good in snow. Never had 'em on ice.

I just purchased 4 Bridgestone Turanza LS-T for my 2000 Forester. Seem OK. Nice ride and good wet traction. But I haven't used them in the snow yet. They had a very high rating at Tirerack.com.

For my wife's Toyota Camry LE V-6, I'm using Firestone Affinity

LH-30. These are very good. I used the same tires last winter on another vehicle and they were fantastic in the snow. They had just a bit lower rating at Tirerack.com.

If you're on a budget Pep Boys carries the Futura line of tires. Most of them are made by Cooper. They were fine in snow and wet weather.

The only brand I'd stay away from are Goodyear. I had problems with their tires. When I tried to use the warranty I got the run around at a Goodyear owned store (Just Tires).

~Howard

:banana:

I was looking into getting a set of X-Ones from Michelin since they have been HIGHLY rated all season tires. Unfortunately, no longer being made. They are being replaced by the Michelin Harmony. After MUCH review and research, I went with the Harmony about 2 weeks ago.

Their ratings are excellent and have read many positive reviews. I agree! They are quiet, excellent handling, GREAT wet traction and I am just waiting for the next snow. Sure nice to have that "sure-footed" feeling again now that those CRAPPY Goodyear's are off!!!

P.S. Had a long talk with my mechanic when I went to pick up my car after getting the tires put on. He was telling me some CRAZY stories about some of the mods he sees people doing to make their cars (including a couple local subes) to go faster and faster. Yet, they do NO mods to the brakes and then they look at putting a full set of tires on for $100. My point, you can make your car go as fast as you want but if your brakes and your tires are not top notch, won't much matter when you are splattered in the trees dead because you couldn't stop or get any traction under you.