Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What style valve spring compressor do I need to get

the cheap ones at advanced auto parts suck for this job, i can tell you that. fairly certain there's another thread already on here about good tools for doing this and even way to do it without using a "tool"!

machine shops normally do this for you...and it really doesn't cost anything. let them replace the seals, it probably won't cost you any different whether you have that stuff removed or not.

the cheap ones at advanced auto parts suck for this job, i can tell you that. fairly certain there's another thread already on here about good tools for doing this and even way to do it without using a "tool"!

machine shops normally do this for you...and it really doesn't cost anything. let them replace the seals, it probably won't cost you any different whether you have that stuff removed or not.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the seals have to go in after the cam is back on the head. So I would take them the head and the cam/caps?

edit: but the head bolts can't be put in with the cam in place. How can they replace the seals?

edit: ok i'm an idiot. You guys are talking about the valve stem seals.

You do not need to take the machine shop the cams and caps. The valvel seals go in before the cams so they do not need them. Once you get the engine back you can reassemble the head on the car. I surely hope you marked the lifters as to the holes they came out of as they are already adjusted for thoes cam lobes. Do not mix them up or you are looking at more work.

You do not need to take the machine shop the cams and caps. The valvel seals go in before the cams so they do not need them. Once you get the engine back you can reassemble the head on the car. I surely hope you marked the lifters as to the holes they came out of as they are already adjusted for thoes cam lobes. Do not mix them up or you are looking at more work.

Thanks, I would have screwed that up.

Isn't this fun?