Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 vs EA81spfi vs EA81 w/ea82 carb vs EA81 weber

Just wanting some information from people with REAL WORLD experience.

I have recently been planning a winter project in which I will be building a new wheeler. My plan is to put an EA81 in a 3rd gen wagon for wheeling. Nothing new, I know. Jeff has just inspired me to go for it.

I'm wanting testimonials from people who have used EA81s in place of EA82s.

So if you could give me some real world, honest opinions on the use of your EA81 in place of an EA82 which you had previously driven; I would be very much appreciative.

In your testimony, please included which type of fuel delivery system your EA81 is using, and your comparison between it, and the EA82 it replaced. By this I mean, your impression of any power loss, in relation to low end torque, or high end, or any power gains of a similar type.

Thanks!

I had an EA82 SPFI wagon for a while and it never lacked power when I needed it. It had very good throttle response and control. I also did good in deep water, but I never took it too deep. It had ok low end torque but better in the top end.

Then I got an EA81 wagon with a stock carb for a long time. I offroaded it all the time and it did very good. I did really deep water with it and it would just kinda float along and just keep putting through the deep water. After putting a lift on it I really needed more power to compensate for the large tires. So I got a Weber and It was an amazing difference! It had great throttle response (after you hooked up the throttle linkage correctly.) HAHA! I also had a ported intake and fully custom exhaust which helped alot with power and sound!!:headbang: The weber made the low end torque very good and it roared through the top end too. I never took it up any really steep hills to see if the fuel would cut out with a weber. Which can be an issue.

Heres a link to the thread with my lifted EA81 wagon: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57959

If you want a smooth power band with better fuel economy than go with the EA82. I just loved the weber though.

Heres a video clip of my wagon with the weber and custom exhaust done. It had some good power!

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=11084&cat=642

And heres another clip of it offroading a hill climb some mud and snow. In the first hill climb you can see how the weber just spun the tires all the way up the climb. This video is without the custom exhaust so you can get an idea of what its like with the crapy old exhaust.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10980&cat=642

And heres another clip of it offroading a hill climb some mud and snow. In the first hill climb you can see how the weber just spun the tires all the way up the climb. This video is without the custom exhaust so you can get an idea of what its like with the crapy old exhaust.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10980&cat=642

Did it get stuck in the snow ? :lol:

I notice a slight rattly sound when you lift off the gas - was it just the pipes rattling around or is it the sound of the engine??

I need a new exhaust on my Brat and would like some recomendations on the y-pipe backwards.....

Steve

'85 EA82 GL wagon d/r simply reliable, but..... TOD, seems to lack power

'88 EA82T RX d/r didn't like E85 very well - ecs lean codes, 50% worked better - with the higher ethanol and leaking exhaust manifold gaskets, could still blow 20 lbs. boost :burnout: good power, but low rpm power very lacking, usually using low range until 40+ mph

'84 EA81 BRAT d/r in standard configuration was ok, but switch to '85 d/r, carb, and intake = much happier

11/1979 EA71 wagon GL s/r weber 32/36 manual choke, electronic ignition, XT6 alt and coolant tank, 15" pugs with winterforce, and block heater, and space heater for cabin on cold days..... very cold blooded, does not start when below 20f unless assisted, great winter car WITH HEAT!!!!! likes various blends of E85 :grin: good performance

all of them were lacking in the fuel economy department :dead:

I ran the Beast with a 70's Ford 2bbl carb on an EA82 for a while, which ran awesome, much more power over stock, then I swapped that out for the EA81 in it now, but i kept the EA82 manifold and Ford carb, and I noticed more low end torque and power, but a little less high end power. I have done some pretty crazy angles with the EA81/Ford carb setup too. Right now the throttle plate on the carb is buggered though, so I will be swapping to a Weber i got cheap after I fix some other more important problems on the car.

Just wanting some information from people with REAL WORLD experience.

I have recently been planning a winter project in which I will be building a new wheeler. My plan is to put an EA81 in a 3rd gen wagon for wheeling. Nothing new, I know. Jeff has just inspired me to go for it.

I'm wanting testimonials from people who have used EA81s in place of EA82s.

So if you could give me some real world, honest opinions on the use of your EA81 in place of an EA82 which you had previously driven; I would be very much appreciative.

In your testimony, please included which type of fuel delivery system your EA81 is using, and your comparison between it, and the EA82 it replaced. By this I mean, your impression of any power loss, in relation to low end torque, or high end, or any power gains of a similar type.

Thanks!

Will you know I did mine and I just have the stock carb on from the EA82. there is not a whole lot of power that way but, there is also no timing belts:banana: .

Jeff

I had a lifted '87 wagon (carb) that I got without an engine. I dropped in a solid lifter ea81 with a weber on it. it was okay, but never had any pop to it, until I swapped in a lower mileage hydro lifter ea81 with the same weber.

much better response then. Used a MSD coil with both engines.

Thanks to Jeff, The Beast, and McBrat.

That's exactly what I was wondering.

McBrat,

So would you suggest finding and/or building a Hydraulic liftered EA81 for this project over a Solid liftered version? I'm not very familiar (yet) with the internal workings of these flat engines, but Jeff is! :grin:

I'm looking for the something with good low end torque, and solid power, but in the most reliable package available. As I stated, this will be used in a wheeler. I'm thinking I will probably end up with a Webered EA81, but am trying to gather as much information as possible.

Thanks again for the help.

AND ANYONE WITH MORE EA81 IN PLACE OF EA82 TESTIMONIALS;

PLEASE POST THEM!

Thanks to Jeff, The Beast, and McBrat.

That's exactly what I was wondering.

McBrat,

So would you suggest finding and/or building a Hydraulic liftered EA81 for this project over a Solid liftered version? I'm not very familiar (yet) with the internal workings of these flat engines, but Jeff is! :grin:

I'm looking for the something with good low end torque, and solid power, but in the most reliable package available. As I stated, this will be used in a wheeler. I'm thinking I will probably end up with a Webered EA81, but am trying to gather as much information as possible.

Thanks again for the help.

AND ANYONE WITH MORE EA81 IN PLACE OF EA82 TESTIMONIALS;

PLEASE POST THEM!

I got a hydraulic liftered one sittin on that table right now.:banana:

Jeff

definitely put a weber on it. to help even more I'd look for a used MSD 6A ignition and put a decent high output coil on it....Accell Super Coil (not Super Stock) is what I use with my MSD....

it made a big difference on my heavier than normal Brat... (also has the Delta Cams torque grind cam in it....)

Jeff,

We may have to look into a block splitting ceremony sometime soon.

I'm thinking a more devoted wheeler is going to need a more devoted engine.

McBrat,

I was going to ask you about the Delta Cams setup. I figured they had a good torque grind available. I actually have a 6a on the shelf from my Nova, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm thinking I will be building a motor from scratch for this. So are there any upgrades you would do to the internals, like improving the liners or rotating stock? I'm not really sure as to what all is available in this department, so if you have any suggestions, or if anyone else does; that would be great!

Jeff,

We may have to look into a block splitting ceremony sometime soon.

I'm thinking a more devoted wheeler is going to need a more devoted engine.

Will, I got that Short block on the floor that is a EA81. Not sure if that is a hydraulic lifter one or not but if anything it will give us an Idea for what'll be coming up to get one apart.

Jeff

When my Brat was running, it was a beast on the road. It had no problems doing 80 to 85, and was not floored doing it. It has a hydraulic lifter EA81 with a Weber in it. I was completely surprised that it did as well as it did. I don't know if it was the engine or because it was a 3AT. I am thinking about putting it in my 87 wagon, the EA82 in the wagon is very tired, and needs to be rebuilt. I hope to do this during 3 day weekend very soon. If anyone has any secrets, please let me in on them. I will be doing this this summer.