Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can Subaru Wheels Be Swapped Between Models?

Guest Chip Hedrick

Here are my questions:

1. I have a '98 OBW. I know the diameter of my stock alloy wheels is 15." Does anyone know the width? Are they 15" x 6"?

2. Can I use 15" wheels from other Subaru models, perhaps a 2.5 GT, on my OBW? Are all 15", 5-lug, Subaru wheels interchangeable between models? Are there any exceptions?

3. I have two sets of 205/70R15 tires. Michelin Rainforce MX4s for Spring, Summer, and Fall, and Nokia Hakipolita (Sp?) Qs for Winter. Am I restricted to mounting these tires on 15" x 6" wheels (assuming that is what I have) or could I also mount them on 6.5" or 7" wide wheels?

Guest svxpert

1) I think they are 15X6

2) you can use any Subaru wheel from 1998 to present. Any Subaru wheel from 1990 to present with the exeptions of: SVX, Loyale, and Justy. These all have different bolt pattern.

3) I'm not sure.

hope this helps a little

Guest Hondasucks

yeah I've got 95 15 inch alloys on my 91 Legacy, I've seen WRX wheels and GT wheels on gen1 legacies, so I suppose that all Subaru 5-lug patterns are the same except for the SVX which uses a 5x114.5 pattern instead of teh 5x100 that everything else used. To complicate it further, the Justy used a different (4x120?) bolt pattern than the 4x5.5" pattern that the other 4-lug models used.

Guest Legacy777

all the new gen subarus, legacy on up, except the svx all have 5x100 bolt pattern and can be swapped. Offsets will vary, and so will wheel width, so depending on the tire you run, you may get slight rubbing with a really wide tire, but on the later models, it's less of an issue.

• 1 year later...
all the new gen subarus, legacy on up, except the svx all have 5x100 bolt pattern and can be swapped. Offsets will vary, and so will wheel width, so depending on the tire you run, you may get slight rubbing with a really wide tire, but on the later models, it's less of an issue.

I was offered some 195/65/15 Hakku's for my 93 Legacy wagon, which has 185/70/14's on it now. The "Universal Rims" they came on came no where near fitting. I tried out a tire calculator and they are going to be 3.17% bigger, and they don't recommend going over 3%, but they sure look like they will work. The tires are in pretty good shape, studs ok, but I'm wondering if I should pursue some 15" 5-lug wheels. Anyone have some, or know locally the best route to go near Auburn Washington. Thanks! Kowboy

See my post copied below, can use dodge/chrysler rims on Subaru opens up lots of possibilities at the junk yad.

Did some research on the internet to find other maufacturers using the 5 bolt by 100mm pattern on their wheels. Among them was Dodge, Chevy, VW and Pontiac. Went to the local wrecker and found a matched set of 4 alloy wheels off an 89 Caravan that fit. Mounted one with 205/60-15 snow on the front right and drove around their parking lot. No clearance issue perfect fit in fact. There is a slight difference in offset but no more than many aftermarket wheels including the Ronal wheels offered as a dealer option a few years back. Haven't taken exact measurements yet but will check distance from rear edge of wheel to mounting surface, look to be sitting about 6-8mm furthur out than stock Subaru 15's. Different dimension on my OEM 16's but they are a half inch wider than the Dodge wheels so hard to compare. Think the oem 15's have a 48mm offset while the Dodge wheel is speced at 50mm.

OEM 16's on the GT's are listed as 53mm offset. Anything with much more offset may not clear the rear struts as it moves the wheel inward while much less offset will push the wheels out resulting in fender clearance issues not to mention affect on wheel bearing wear. These wheels clearing the calipers fine.

Caravan wheels are 15 by 6 inch with their "snowflake" pattern, same as used on many Dodge cars, Daytona etc. Lots of these sitting out there at scrap yards around the country. Will use these on our 96 OBW with studded tires as I have winter wheels with snows already for my GT.

Didn't get a chance to check any other wheels from Chevy etc. but offset is likely to be the main issue, that and perhaps the centerhole diameter. End result being anyone looking for cheap winters or perhaps a "plus 1" setup on older Legacys may want to spend some time at the local wrecker.

Word of caution being to take the time to fit one, with a tire mounted, on the car at the wreckers before you hand over any cash.

I paid $100 for the four cean wheels, no curb damage so cheaper than any

steel wheels I could find. If you're on a real budget the steel Dodge wheels might also work.

Having the snows mounted this week and will bolt them on once serious Vermont snow arrives. Will report back to this thread with any issues.

Regards

Glenn

98 GT, 96 OBW

Here are my questions:

1. I have a '98 OBW. I know the diameter of my stock alloy wheels is 15." Does anyone know the width? Are they 15" x 6"?

2. Can I use 15" wheels from other Subaru models, perhaps a 2.5 GT, on my OBW? Are all 15", 5-lug, Subaru wheels interchangeable between models? Are there any exceptions?

3. I have two sets of 205/70R15 tires. Michelin Rainforce MX4s for Spring, Summer, and Fall, and Nokia Hakipolita (Sp?) Qs for Winter. Am I restricted to mounting these tires on 15" x 6" wheels (assuming that is what I have) or could I also mount them on 6.5" or 7" wide wheels?