Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cruise control retrofit?

Ifin I read this right, sounds like your wanting the OEM Cruise Control set-up.

Pretty much a plug-n-play item for the most part. Although, I'm not quite sure how Subaru does all of it.

Thinking all of the wiring is there, just need the hardware for it. I could be wrong though, does happen now and then.

Parts in "general" are;

Brake pedal vacuum switch,

Clutch pedal vacuum switch, (only ifin it's a manual tranny),

Cruise Control Brain box, (located ?),

Throttle Actuator bellows and linkage, (in the engine bay),

Cruise Control switch, (usually it's in with the turnsignal lever),

Vacuum lines to connect all of the above,

Time and patience to remove and install is required. Best to take notes on what's where, and how this/that is ran/hooked up.

Hope this helps.

PM, I am going on the assumption you

a) want to snag an OEM unit from a boneyard

B) are wanting to install it in the vehicle in your sig. i.e. 88 GL

As I am sure you know, aftermarket type CC units use the vacuum of the intake manifold to position the throttle.

Subaru goes one step beyond, they have a vacuum pump instead of relying on the intake manifold vacuum. (This BTW makes them suitable for turbo charged cars where the intake manifold goes to positive pressures frequently)

Here is a list of 2 B snagged

The pump, this is located on the pass. side strut tower

The brain, this located above the glove box

The control on/off switch - in pod to left of gauge cluster

The set/resume switch - steering wheel horn pad

The throttle actuator- above throttle pedal

The brake/clutch switch - above brake/clutch pedal

The wiring harness - nightmare in pass. side inner fender, and across dash above HIVAC unit. Sorry to the best of my knowledge, they do not come "pre wired" atleast my 87 GL did not. The steering col. MAY have the wires for the set/resume though.

Note: the brain gets it's vehicle speed input from the VSS incorporated in the speedometer head, you must locate this connection in the wire "jungle" under the dash.

Much easier to just go to JC "Twit"ney (gotta be a "Twit" to buy from them, j/k) and get one.

I am sure your NAPA store also sells aftermarket units.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, I do have the wiring diagram if you need it.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I am wanting to do the OEM deal - NAPA stopped selling the aftermarket CC's a long time ago because they were pretty sketchy, so I am leery of getting one, esp. if JC Whitney has anything to do with it!

Alldata listed a part number for a kit from Sub to put cruise in at the dealer back in 1988.

Man, I hope it doesn't require harness replacement!

I would think (altough - who knows - maybe I'm wrong) that the CC wiring harness is not seperate UNLESS the CC was installed by the dealer. If it's factory, then it's likely part of the cars harness. So if you could find a car with dealer CC, then you would have your seperate harness - otherwise, it would be integrated into the main harness. At least my EA81 with CC is part of the main harness.....

GD

Ma - no sir my list does not refer to your car, sorry it is for the EA82 series only. Your app. is way diff.

To follow on with GD's comments. The listing I gave is for a factory equipped CC EA82 cars. The harness for it (GL-10) is integrated into the main harness. But all GL-10 of this era (87-89) had CC standard.

There are, as GD says, dealer installed CC units, I bought two for my two Brats off of Billy C when he surfaced there a while back.

The main question here is the VSS, vehicle speed sensor.

One kit came with a remote sensor one did not. The throttle actuators are very different also some being spilt cable unit others connecting to the throttle plate bell crank.

Don't help much I know but this is kind of "tramping" on Partsman's post.