Ultimate Subaru Message Board

July 13th TSF *I broke it and can't go*

TeamCF

Well I broke it good. Please see last post.

So I'm gonna throw this out there.

I'm going up with a bunch of 4x4 club guys I know.

Usually meet at the Shell on Hwy 6 about 8:30am.

Head for the trails about 9.

Gonna be everything from stockish XJ's. To flexy rock rigs that show up on trailers.

Proly all stay together and just have those of us in the group that can't climb shear rock cliffs bypass the nasty stuff.

Even the guys in this group with the hardcore rigs enjoy hitting the easy trails, so all rigs can have fun.

And they enjoyed seeing the Roo do it's thing last time, so I figure why not have a little bit bigger Subaru showing. :grin:

28_P1010136_1.jpg

S7301074.jpg

S7301075.jpg

Who knows maybe there will be more trail welding with two car batteries and a couple sets of jumper cables again.

(A guy broke his suspension linkage mounting off last time and wanted to continue wheeling)

If all goes as planned I'll be there.

All the snow is gone on the trails.

And the rocks and stumps are sticking out nicely.

Should be good times. :headbang:

• 2 weeks later...

I'll see what I can do... new baby taking up a lot of my time... at least I'll be off pager rotation by then... we'll see how fundage is around that time...

I really want to drive through that tree! hehe...

I should be able to keep up enough, even in my stock rig... I'm not afraid of bumps and bruises... it all adds character...

--Spiffy

I'll see what I can do... new baby taking up a lot of my time... at least I'll be off pager rotation by then... we'll see how fundage is around that time...

I really want to drive through that tree! hehe...

I should be able to keep up enough, even in my stock rig... I'm not afraid of bumps and bruises... it all adds character...

--Spiffy

Yeah if you are careful about where you chose to put your tires, stock rig should be able to do that trail. The first time I did it I was by myself and it was wet. Only a few spots where there is a big rock in a tight corner and you have to kinda squeeze between it and a tree on the sidewalls.

And I was open diff. So that's not an issue.

I've yet to get stuck out at TSF (but after saying that, now I will :lol: )

Even on the black diamond stuff. Not that you couldn't, theres lots of places I've been through to get stuck in a bad way. I just try real hard to avoid it.

One of the guys I wheel with said he's seen a guy with 40" tires and front and rear lockers get all kinds of stuck on a tricky section of trail.

Next guy came through with 30" tires and no lockers and had no problem. All depends on where ya put those tires. :)

I would go but saving up for the show

Yeah this will proly be my last outing to TSF till the show.

Might still do a random run here or there around Goat or something though.

I gotta save up some too. And make sure I have the soob ready. :)

sweet, thanks!

--Spiffy

No problem. :)

I got my GPS replaced a couple weeks ago (had a Megellan Triton, it puked, they gave my my $$ back, replaced it a trusty Garmin) and made sure I took it with last time.

Don't always rely on it for getting around (always keep a paper map handy). But it sure is fun to mark places of interest with. And load it on the computer to see where I've been.

your really tempting me to put my offroad bumper back on for some action...

it's such a cool bumper I would never take it off...

so I've gotta replace a little coolant hose on my intake, tweak my throttle cable route, and check my timing, then I'll be all set for TSF this weekend...

if I'm really ambitious I could put my LSD in, but I'm slow and lazy and the weekend is approaching quickly...

--Spiffy

it's such a cool bumper I would never take it off...

so I've gotta replace a little coolant hose on my intake, tweak my throttle cable route, and check my timing, then I'll be all set for TSF this weekend...

if I'm really ambitious I could put my LSD in, but I'm slow and lazy and the weekend is approaching quickly...

--Spiffy

If ya get a chance, the LSD would be a nice part to have in.

Alot of the trails are doable with open.

But I know last time they led me down a few that I proly could not have done open.

Nice part is, the road runs alongside most trails. If it's deemed to difficult, you just drive to the other end and wait for the rest of the group. I know I've done it a few times. Also nice if it's not worth it to ya to bash up a DD.

You'll need a OHV permit to wheel out there. get 'em at most dirtbike shops and whatnot. All you need is your VIN #. They also sometimes have them at ths shell station where meet at. Along with the new maps. But last time they were out of both. But said they were on the way. I hope so, I need a new map, mines falling apart. :)

Bumping this as I added a couple more teaser pics (nothing big just ran across them) And a final plans post.

Like I said we meet at the Shell on HWY 6 near Gales Creek at 8:30 or so.

We'll be leaving there at 9.

If ya run a little late. You can go down the road a few/several miles to the enterance to "Brown's Camp" Turn left there into the forest (can't miss the big ODOT gravel yard there) Go down that road only a little ways and at the fork go left. There is a parking/staging area there. (not browns camp)

We generaly hang there for awhile so everyone can air down and such.

CB channels are usualy not decided till we get there. Generaly we try to run the day of the month, unless it's too chatty.

Last minute OHV permits can be had at the Shell (along with maps, that is if they have either in stock).

Or at the store on the right just a few miles down the road.

Best to try and have those before hand though cause both spots run out alot.

And there usually are sheriff's and such on ATV's running around checking.

And be prepared to get dirty. I had about an 1/8th inch of dust on my dash and every other interior surface by the end of the day (and me).

Unless you have A/C and a cabin filter, then it might not be a problem.

So bring full windshield washers too. :)

And be ready for dents. We'll be running some easy ones, but also some nasty ones. So getting a map to see the bypasses would be good. I know I need a new one.

Above all go to have fun, don't feel bad about skipping out on a trail. And tire placement is very important out there, so take your time. Just blasting the trails full ahead will only break you. Lots of rocks on theses ones. First gear low range idling will be the speed of choice most of the day.

I'm going to try and leave around 7, which means 7:30 since I'm always a half hour late... so I should be there on time... unless I break something in the next few days... (:

I renewed my OHV last month, and my map is still in great condition since I've only been out there once, and I stayed on the roads because I was solo and didn't wanna get stuck on a trail...

that reminds me, I should bring an air pump... and an extra EXTRA spare tire...

I'll try not to get too dirty, and trail behind the dust as much as possible... it can't be as bad as the dry california summers... now THAT was some dust...

drat, I still don't have my CB installed... I'm such a slacker... need to look for some parts in the next couple days to see about getting that wired in...

--Spiffy

Yeah CB makes things nice. I'm sure even if you don't get it in though you wont be the only one. A few guys always show up without them. :)

The dust was epic last time. to stay out of it you had to hang 1/4 mile or so back, then you might miss the next turn. Not that you could see the vehicle in front of you till you were on thier bumper anyway. So I've just accepted the fact I'm gonna be all sweaty and muddy at the end of the day, and the Soob will be in need of a good cleaning inside. Funny thing is you don't really notice it cause of the fun. :)

I didn't figure out I was actually kinda miserable till about half way home. :lol:

And it's only bad on the roads. The trails we go slow enough there's no dust.

I finally started carrying a pump as well. Though not a very good one :rolleyes: But I don't air down being on street tires, want to stay off of those tender sidewalls as much as possible. :lol:

See ya there! :headbang:

Oh and I'm "TeamCF" on the 4x4 board too (just so they can "know you through me"). In case I'm the late one of the group. Just look for the Sore4x4 guys. A few proly will have stickers. I gave them a heads up that another Roo will proly be joining the run. :)

Crap.

Speaking of breaking something.

I just got back from a quick recon run up to Goat Mt. (which is all clear of snow now BTW) About 3/4 of the way home the front of my car started shaking violently. I checked the lugnuts, peeked underneath and continued home. Just fine on 26. But then climbing the hill to the house it did it again.

Hope it's something I have the extra cash for so I can fix it before sunday. :confused:

Should be all set though.

Should be.

Just glad it did it now instead of out at TSF.

uh oh!

only doing it under acceleration and load? I had that problem, I had bent something into the exhaust and it was rattling like mad every time I took off hard from a stop or went up a steep hill...

I'll be wrenching today as well, after we get back from breakfast...

--Spiffy

I've got a few exhaust rattles too.

But mine are cause I had a shop make me a downpipe that hugs the bottom of the car for more clearance. So exhaust/cat against crossmembers are kind of a intentional design flaw if you will. :lol:

Everything turned out tight under there. That I can tell.

Looks like the inner cup on my 2 month old right front axle is shot though.

Proly happened when I broke my strut top and wheeled it anyway.

I can pull it apart and hang it up on the retaining ring inside.

Axles are not limiting straps!! hehe

Got it out and just gotta run down to discount import right now to swap it out. Under warranty.

From the outside it still looks like a new axle.

One thing I noticed though on the new EMPI axles. The cups are way bigger than the originals. But not beefy enough to be pulled apart and jammed back together multiple times. But I couldn't see one splitting for rear welded applications.