Ultimate Subaru Message Board

July 13th TSF *I broke it and can't go*

TeamCF

Does it make noise

Yeah lots of it. "whoomp whoomp whoomp!" with a little banging as well.

And it's not a bed tire.

If I take it out on the highway it goes away. Only accelerating.

Output shafts on the tranny seem loose too.

well that sucks, but just to let you know, the stubs comming out of the front diff are soposted to have a little movement. all subies are like that even on the new ones.

check your drive line, you could have lost a weight or the joints are going bad. pull it out and move it around. if it feels crunchy, wack the side of the u-joint where its pressed in with a hammer and re check. i had the same problem with the wife's outback, hit it with a hammer and its good as new.

little trick i learned while working on cars for the last few years.

well that sucks, but just to let you know, the stubs comming out of the front diff are soposted to have a little movement. all subies are like that even on the new ones.

check your drive line, you could have lost a weight or the joints are going bad. pull it out and move it around. if it feels crunchy, wack the side of the u-joint where its pressed in with a hammer and re check. i had the same problem with the wife's outback, hit it with a hammer and its good as new.

little trick i learned while working on cars for the last few years.

Ahh... then I just have crummy axles. (brand new EMPI's)

The driver side front axle DOJ feels like it's falling apart.

Shake it like a rattle. :eek:

Going to warranty it out in a few. Free is a good price right now, even if I am going to be doing this again in a few months.

Arrived at the Shell Station at 8:15:AM, got a map but no sign of your friends.

Couldn't remember exactly where they were staging (Forgot to take those instructions:mad: ). I eventually found the spot but didn't realize it until I got home and re-read the thread. (Only saw quads and bikes there)

Tried a couple (easy) trails but turned around when it got to looking to nasty. Did the power line trail and was comitted in a down hill section when it turned rough. Finished it to the end!! Scrapped the front once and the bottom and the trailer hitch numerous times. No noticable damage.

Went to a friends and tried out the logging roads on the back of the property.(Looking for fire wood) Not near as challenging but no dust as the roads are veggie covered.

that trail was pretty crazy... I don't know how my friend's land rover group can even fit on there... and I have no idea what you'd do if you came head to head with another vehicle... it was tight enough with the motorcycles and atv's going by... they really should have 1-way travel on most of those trails... there was a Trailsmen event at the park so there were a lot of people... one guy got all snotty and told me how it'd be my fault if anybody hit me... most people were cool, and it was nice that they gave the hand-signs for how many more people were coming behind them...

--Spiffy

that trail was pretty crazy... I don't know how my friend's land rover group can even fit on there... and I have no idea what you'd do if you came head to head with another vehicle... it was tight enough with the motorcycles and atv's going by... they really should have 1-way travel on most of those trails... there was a Trailsmen event at the park so there were a lot of people... one guy got all snotty and told me how it'd be my fault if anybody hit me... most people were cool, and it was nice that they gave the hand-signs for how many more people were coming behind them...

--Spiffy

Yeah that's the problem with out there.

Most all the trails are really narrow. (but that's part of the fun if it's not crowded)

And you get dirtbikes flying down the few trails they actualy let 4X4's use. And then they get pissed at ya like you should not be there.

It's like "look at a map buddy, dirtbikes and ATV's get about 90% of the trails out here. I'm only allowed on a few. so shut it!"

They really need to change the rules so the 4x4's have certain trails all to themselves. We travel alot slower. I've almost been nailed by a ballistic bike coming around a corner a few times. And we were going the same direction.

But other than that it rocks out there. :)

Anything with a blue square, is totaly stock Subaru'able.

I did all of them with open diff the first couple times I went out there.

Throw an LSD or weld it and you can start getting into some of the single black diamond trails. But then the body carnage starts. So black diamond is only if you don't care about sheetmetal.

I think one of my faves is the third powerline trail? (the longest one I think)

About the middle it has a steep spot, you go around a tight left, gets steep, goes into a tight right, and it's filled with rocks and a big stump and root to try to manuver, really short section only in the corner. It's just so that you can do it totally stock.

But you could also get stuck good even locked. I like those kind of trails. Impossible and easy at the same time, just depends on how you go into it.

Yeah that's the problem with out there.

Most all the trails are really narrow. (but that's part of the fun if it's not crowded)

And you get dirtbikes flying down the few trails they actualy let 4X4's use. And then they get pissed at ya like you should not be there.

It's like "look at a map buddy, dirtbikes and ATV's get about 90% of the trails out here. I'm only allowed on a few. so shut it!"

They really need to change the rules so the 4x4's have certain trails all to themselves. We travel alot slower. I've almost been nailed by a ballistic bike coming around a corner a few times. And we were going the same direction.

But other than that it rocks out there. :)

Anything with a blue square, is totaly stock Subaru'able.

I did all of them with open diff the first couple times I went out there.

Throw an LSD or weld it and you can start getting into some of the single black diamond trails. But then the body carnage starts. So black diamond is only if you don't care about sheetmetal.

I think one of my faves is the third powerline trail? (the longest one I think)

About the middle it has a steep spot, you go around a tight left, gets steep, goes into a tight right, and it's filled with rocks and a big stump and root to try to manuver, really short section only in the corner. It's just so that you can do it totally stock.

But you could also get stuck good even locked. I like those kind of trails. Impossible and easy at the same time, just depends on how you go into it.

A stock brat and smoking clutch did it

Hey Team CF, you need this:

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/car/753359374.html

It is WRB blue, so you could put some Subaru badges on it.

hehe I'd be all over it.

But..... $100 to my name right now. :-\

In the end the only wheeler I can afford is the one on jackstands in my drive right now.

Stupid things in younger years....

My advice: stay away from credit cards, don't finance anything, always pay cash. A divorce didn't help either.

But now I'm veering off topic.

A stock brat and smoking clutch did it

Heck yeah! :headbang:

Funny though, I was out there one time and a guy with 36" tires and front and rear lockers got stuck in that section and had to try again.

He just hit it wrong and that was it.

Proly pissed him off to see me just drive right up it in his rearveiw. :lol:

He never mentioned it the whole rest of the day.