Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I demand repairs before purchase?

Hey all, I'm new to this but am thinking about becoming the proud owner of a '99 Outback Wagon. This is the DOHC 2.5L engine that I'm reading horror stories about. It's a manual trans (which I love!) and is in great shape with 90K miles on it. The dealer is very cool and is having the timing belt replaced with an overall check up as well. I've done everything but sign on the dotted line for this car but am now reconsidering because of all the head gasket problems that I'm hearing about. So, my question is should I demand that it be replaced as well before I buy it? Is there a particular gasket out there that is the best? And finally if he refuses to replace it, should I just walk away? I really do want to buy this Subaru ( it's a beautiful silver that I don't see very often ) and at $9200 it seems like a good deal. Any advice? Thanks!!!

You can always ask.

Perhaps they could throw in some type of powertrain warranty.

Maybe they'd offer to replace them at a reduced price?(you pay for parts and 1/2 labor or something)

Or just make your offer low enough to cover the repair and if they balk at the number you look them square in the face and say; "Knowing how often the HGs fail in these cars, what would YOU do in my position?" See what they say.

You need to be comfortable with your purchase. If you can't be, shop somewhere else or for something different.

It's a smaller, family owned dealership. And it will have a limited warrenty but it only covers the first 3 months/3000 miles. After that I'm on my own, but I like the idea of writing into it lifetime coverage for the headgasket. I will see what can be done. Thanks for all the advice! I plan on checking out this message board alot more! Cheers & Happy New Year!

from a private party I tried to get a warranty from my credit union.

Unfortunately they only covered them until 80,000 miles and it was over that.

Boy do I wish I had gotten a car with a warranty now!

I figured that by buying it cheaper from a private party I would have a few more dollars to bring it up to the maintence standard that I require.

I must have about $5,000 of reciepts on mine now to fix things that should have been corrected before it left the factory.

I would really try to get the head gaskets changed if it were my car. Even if I had to pay half, it would be much cheaper than on your own later.

I have been much encouraged by the performance of the the new gaskets.

TOS and others seem to have cured thier cars.