Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Reseal

ha ha!!! problem solved. we need a new forum "How to talk to people that don't know Subaru's"

Espescialy for parents! I'm almost 31, and my Mom still tries to micro-manage my work on her 96 Outback. Even though she is the most clueless person in the world about mechanics.

To quote The Fresh Prince, "parent's just don't understand"...........ever

Well I got it together, cranked it over and it started right up. It runs better now with no more tapping. However, I have a leak around the water pump. I am not exactly sure where, but it is a new water pump.

Before I started it up, I poured a coolant/water mixture into the passenger side water hose to the engine where the thermostat is at in order to ensure there was some coolant there before I started it. It did drip a bit off the timing cover right under the water pump area, even before I started the engine up, but I just thought I spilled some.

I am thinking that pipe that has just an O ring to seal it up could be the problem. Or perhaps the bypass hose. I used a good coat of RTV on both sides of the gasket before I put the water pump in.

Has anyone seen this before?

I figured out what was happening, only after buying another brand new water pump! The metal water pipe was leakijng at the flange. I swear the stream of water looked exactly like it was coming from the pump itself. It was only after I took the first one off and put in the second one and tested it that I realized it wasn't the water pump. :banghead:

I ecased the thing in RTV for a temporary fix. I am hoping this pipe is something I can get at a dealer.

The car runs great now, leaks no oil and the clutch is very grabby. Thanks everyone for all your help. Oh and my dad was impressed too.

• 1 month later...

there is no trick or anything to look for. install pipe with *new* oring, that's it.

the oring will seal on it's own...if everything is just right. like rob said, i coat mine lightly with something as well to assist sealing.

if there is something wrong with the pipe, get a new (or used good) pipe.

there is no trick or anything to look for. install pipe with *new* oring, that's it.

the oring will seal on it's own...if everything is just right. like rob said, i coat mine lightly with something as well to assist sealing.

if there is something wrong with the pipe, get a new (or used good) pipe.

It is best to use some kind of lubricant on the o-ring when installing the tube. Straight Anti-Freeze would even work as a lube. Installing it dry, could allow the o-ring to get rolled out of the groove. I lightly coat the area where the tube fits in the pump also

I need the info on resealing this pipe he is speaking of... it's what's given me issues all along... is it and o-ring or RTV, or what?

nice thread!

The pipe simply seals using an O-ring that typically comes with a new water pump. The pipe has a crimped section where it mates with the water pump flange. I concluded that was the portion that was leaking.

Being the cheapskate I am, I deferred purckasing the $70 pipe and instead smeared RTV all over the crimped portion. For good measure I threw in some stop leak as well.

You have to remove the alternator and set the AC aside to get at the pipe. For most experts here probably about a 15 minute job. For me, probably about 2 hours. :lol:

obviously i was in a rush earlier, i didn't take this opportunity to mention what an interesting design that is for Subaru to come up with. one tiny bolt holding that entire, long, pipe in place? still scratching my head on that one.

Interesting wasn't quite the word (of the many swear words) I used to describe that design. In fact I don't recall using the word insteresting. If someone knows how to say "interesting" in four letters, I'm all ears.

obviously i was in a rush earlier, i didn't take this opportunity to mention what an interesting design that is for Subaru to come up with. one tiny bolt holding that entire, long, pipe in place? still scratching my head on that one.

Properly cleaned and with a new o-ring that specific junction is the least of my worries on an EA82. The o-ring is of such a size that the bolt only need prevent the pipe from popping out of the water pump. It seals based on compression of the o-ring not from the bolt. It's a completely valid design in my opinion.

GD

It's a completely valid design in my opinion.

GD

without adding any actual cost increase...one extra bolt, they could remove an SPF which is a good thing from an engineering stand point.

it's annoying when the threads strip in that lone hole. probably only a northeast thing as usual?!

without adding any actual cost increase...one extra bolt, they could remove an SPF which is a good thing from an engineering stand point.

it's annoying when the threads strip in that lone hole. probably only a northeast thing as usual?!

nope not a northeast thing.... my bolt went in and is in the hole okay but won't tighten..

the o-ring, does, like GD said, hold the pipe in there pretty nicely..

and the bolt is holding okay for now...

does not inspire confidence though...