Ultimate Subaru Message Board

00 OBW sunroof/moonroof drain?? leak

Guest sitecr2

just had these fixed last year. this year it actually stayed in the garage except when driven. in fact while in Iraq it was not driven much. not kept under trees but the it seems once again the drain holes or tubes are blocked. last time cost me $125. this time i want to do it myself and since it will be sitting in an airport parking lot for 10 days waiting for me during this very rainy year, I prefer not to come back to a smelly wet carpet in my outback wagon.

where are these drain holes?

how do i unclog them?

prevention?

searched an found tidbits in reference to 93 sunroof one. but this one is 2000. please and thanks

don

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

I wonder if small pieces of those 'pan tabs' that HVAC guys put in my home unit's drain system would help keep your drains clear? Do you know what excatly clogs them up? If it's insects you might need to wad up some coarse steel (stainless) wool or find some other way to screen the bugs out. If its fungus/slime the pan tabs might work.

This all assumes someone who knows the whereabouts of the tubing replies!

Guest sitecr2

good idea tex.

once someone can tell me where they are. I looked earlier today.

saw on the 93 legacy post to try to put some water up there and look for slow drain. it was rainy great ghosts the other day.

cheers

sitecr2:D

Guest scoobtech

There are 4 drains . 1 at each corner of the sunroof. All they are are clear plastic tubing , that is very flexible . The 2 front ones run down each A pillar. The rears are a little longer with it being a wagon . I believe they run down C pillar . To check , just close sunroof & pour or spray glass with water & check for water at 4 corners of car . If stopped up , open glass, & looking down from top of car you will see openings at corners of sunrrof frame .With regulated compressed air , lightly blow down each passage to unclog. Too much & you will blow lines off . If still stopped up , you will have to take interior trim apart to access lines . :x

Guest sitecr2

Thanks

will take a look in the sunlight.

tried looking at tonight again. the rear most corners are under the eaves where the moonroof goes under roof. those might be an issue. going to get up early and go buy some compressed air (computer style)

will avoid using my 200mph leaf blower. although tempting to try.

just tired of water pouring into the rear thru the right rear seatbelt assembly in roof

thanks

don

Guest sitecr2

:mad:

driver's side OK.

its the moonroof. can not see the drains. passenger side, when you pour water in the channel dumps it right out the passenger rear seatbelt in ceiling or rear gate hinges in roof. since i have run out of time and must go to colorado for son's wedding. will put big bucket in outback to drain into. grrrrrrr.

this is total bs. 2d time, now must drop ceiling to get to this one. of course if i pay the dealer i'm out 125, if i do it, out hours. well we'll see if i can get the miata running and this too.

out til later this week

thanks to all who are helping.

don

Guest Sydfloyd44

Scoobtech's advice has my vote!! All of it!!

I would definately guess, based on your info, that the tube is loose from the sunroof assembly. You are going to have to drop at least half of the headliner to get in there. Most sunroofs have a nipple at the drains which is part of the sunroof assembly. The tubes then fit over the nipple and have a simple pinch type clamp to make sure it stays.

Once you get it fixed, get water running thru it and locate where the water is discharging under the car. These are the locations you want to check occasionally to make sure the crap isn't building up and clogging.

Let us know how you make out.

Guest KGB4187

Instead of putting a bucket in there, just cover the sunroof. My 91 leaks, so I taped plastic sheeting down with duct tape. Then I got smart and figured just to put the tape across the rubber seal around the sunroof. :rolleyes: Cover it with tape so theres no place for the water to get in and it'll be nice and dry when you get back.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My wife has an 02 OLW and we have had this problem since it was new. It currently is at the dealer for the fourth time with this same problem. The service manager said that they are putting the tube in place with silicone. It holds for a while but then fails. I think the silicone may not be high heat silicone(?), the car roof gets hot, and the tube comes loose? Very frustrating! The service manager stated that this is a common problem with a simple fix on most cars. I wonder what the problem is with this one?:confused: Anyone have any suggestions? It does sound like it would be a simple repair- put a hose clamp on the tube or even duct tape it! :banghead:

• 2 years later...

There are 6 drain tubes in the wagon with two sunroofs. One each side the front sunroof drains down the A pillar. The rear sunroof has a drain at its front and one at its rear. Both tubes drop down the C pillar, join together and exit the car just behind the rear wheel well, between the body and the bumper cover. You can put a small hose clamp around any drain tube that is coming loose from its spout. Just be careful as the spouts are made of plastic. Been there, done that!