Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Head gaskets..again?

Connie-- There is a product that could be a Semi Permanent fix for your situation- Go to your local auto parts store and get a bottle of Blue Devil- its about $55 dollars-- they also guarantee it so you get your money back if it does not fix the problem-- It would be good for a temporary fix--- I have never seen it fail--

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is a subaru bubbling into the coolant we are talking about here....

..but have you done a compression check?

I am sending you a PM with my argument in favor of fixing your "seasoned" longblock over installing a new unit.:)

Connie-- There is a product that could be a Semi Permanent fix for your situation- Go to your local auto parts store and get a bottle of Blue Devil- its about $55 dollars-- they also guarantee it so you get your money back if it does not fix the problem-- It would be good for a temporary fix--- I have never seen it fail--

$55? for a temp fix? why not spend a tiny bit more and just fix the problem totally?

You ARE kidding me right?

oh, and +1 on the compression test, for sure.

No hoist or stand required. HG's are easily done in the vehicle - especially on EA81's.

And with the help of the board and it's members, how could it turn to poo? Collectively we have solved so much worse....

GD

The motor needs pulled either way..it leaks like a siv...and something is up with the clutch..thinking the flywheel may need turned. This car is also getting Weberized..but I kinda ( Dont kill me Jerry) loaned out my Weber set up to someone who needed to use it desperatly bacause their hitachi..took a nap...while his Weber set up is being rebuilt. And his car is needed as a Daily driver.

LOL GD..you dont know me very well..I have a knack of turning the simplest thing into poo..without trying.

I hate this...had my mind made up to go with a new...but now.....

I hate this...had my mind made up to go with a new...but now.....
new motor is a great idea. remember how much you like the impreza and not having to worry about it? granted it's a much older car not worth much like GD said but the worries won't be there with a new motor...like melis loosing a rod bearing. EA81's are great but that kind of stuff happens with higher mileage cars. i also agree the head gaskets are worth a shot if you have the time, they're not that hard. don't sweat it, you got two good options.

actually i think she has five options.

Reseal and replace headgaskets on existing engine (Ill volunteer as help and i know john did as well)

get the good EA81 from Subaru360 and have him put the head gaskets in for you

Get the same engine above but do headgaskets with john and I

Get the low milage one from John and have us help replace gaskets on that (its hydro too :))

Get a CCR crate motor. (this is at the bottom for a reason)

if you got the time what about getting the known good motor (lower miles) and redoing the entire thing? it's cool knowing you got a motor you worked on in there. it was all in pieces, now it's doing 70 mph, 5,000 rpm's and getting you places!

the scariest thing about the CCR motor is your comment about selling it. of course that was based on some things, but either way i wouldn't want to put too much in a car unless i was absolutely certain i was going to have it a long time. speaking from experience....i have put too much in a vehicle and not had it much longer after the fact.

actually i think she has five options.

1. Reseal and replace headgaskets on existing engine (Ill volunteer as help and i know john did as well)

2. get the good EA81 from Subaru360 and have him put the head gaskets in for you

3. Get the same engine above but do headgaskets with john and I

4. Get the low milage one from John and have us help replace gaskets on that (its hydro too :))

5. Get a CCR crate motor. (this is at the bottom for a reason)

Those are 5 good choices, if you ask me. I'd be more than secure with any one of them. 2, 3 and 4 all sound great, but 4 is my favorite. 116k hydro is a baby of an awesome engine and I think you'd have fun cleaning up and resealing it with John and Steve. Plus, if you waited until the bum that jacked your Weber returned it, Steve could help install and configure the Weber.

The motor needs pulled either way..it leaks like a siv...and something is up with the clutch..thinking the flywheel may need turned.

I keep saying this but I'll say it again - you DO NOT have to pull the motor. All the seals that you need to replace are accesible without pulling the engine. And if you are doing HG's then that really means just the oil pump and the pan. You don't even have to jack it up to get the pan off.

The flywheel and clutch assembly is accesible if you remove the radiator, unbolt the engine and pull it forward and sightly up - you can do it with a 2x4 under the oil pan and a bottle jack. Once it's seperated there is enough room to replace the clutch and R&R the flywheel no problem without removeing the engine.

GD

I keep saying this but I'll say it again - you DO NOT have to pull the motor. All the seals that you need to replace are accesible without pulling the engine. And if you are doing HG's then that really means just the oil pump and the pan. You don't even have to jack it up to get the pan off.

The flywheel and clutch assembly is accesible if you remove the radiator, unbolt the engine and pull it forward and sightly up - you can do it with a 2x4 under the oil pan and a bottle jack. Once it's seperated there is enough room to replace the clutch and R&R the flywheel no problem without removeing the engine.

GD

EA engines don't weigh much. I can pull one out of a car myself by hand if I really want to. But with 2 people it's very easy to lift it out. It is much easier to work on out of the car.

well... I have my mind set now on...I am going to attempt this..now its just which motor..Mine, Johns..or take Subaru360 up on his offer on his ( unassembled...wont learn anything if someone does it for me). Planning on starting to order parts tomorrow.

Like GD said ( sometimes I could strangle you BTW for being so damn supportive) I was leary about the disk swap..sounded worse then it was...and I plan on doing that again soon on my coupe.

Im going to put in a vote for Johns. It would make sense to me since if you were going to do it he would probably come down and lend a hand anyways so why not have him bring you your new motor. They all of us can pull the heads, replace the gaskets, reseal it and drop it in.

The main reason i take his over yours is you dont know what kind of shape yours is in and what care its been given at 235k. Granted we dont know about Johns either but its half as old milage wise so there is a better shot of it being fine.

I talked to John and Jess..and looks like I will be using thier 116k mile motor..I am going to start ordering parts today and I WILL learn to do this.

PLanning on re-arranging the Garage this weekend and getting LB back in there.. Going to back him in to the back and move the motorcycles and the tractor to the front...they will be easier to move out of the way.

I am motivated to do this now..so ..I want to get to it as soon as I can before I lose that motivation.

CAPITAL!

Now, don't get me wrong, the new engine would be a great thing to have...

but like I tried to point out in my PM, the sheer ego boost you get every time you hit the gas should provide so much therapy, that even if the silly thing somehow blows up in a year and you just say "SCREW you people, I am going CCR this time!" the gains in metal health over that year will offset the cost of a new motor.

I vote baby 116K motor.

Don't forget, the term "rebuilding a motor" is a VERY elastic one, and can be stretched to cover any number of jobs. Taking a longblock, replacing oil seals, head gaskets, oil pump, water pump, and anything else that needs it, can CERTAINLY fit under that umbrella... Just pretend the rest was disassembled and spec'd out perfectly fine as-is. :)

you're replacing the head gaskets on that 116k joker right?

this is probably something you don't need to do but i just did it this week since i'm new to this area. i called the Subaru dealer and asked who they have do all their machine work. the place is 30 minutes away in a small town, but i'm going with the experienced guy over any of the shops in town.

so i called, got their information, hours, and how they like to do things - drop off, turn around time, etc.

Fans off..exhaust off...oil drained...found that the petcock on the rad is broken..so i will pull a hose tomorrow after I find something better to catch the coolant in..going to remove the radiator and flush it.. Confused with all the hoses etc since the car has every option known to man in 1983:rolleyes: ..needless to say...some wont be going back on.

Only broke one bolt ..and that was one of the lower fan bolts..no biggie.

Might take the FSM with me to work tonight so i can research some more at work..

I AM going to do this

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I was afraid the exhaust was going to give you trouble. If you got it off.... its all downhill from here.

Next thing you know... youll be shooting the engine and (empty) engine bay with engine brite and making things all purty and oil free. May LB never leak a drop again. :grin:

Good luck on the hg job connie. Wise chose on going that route. I know we all want the best for our cars but sometimes weve got to go the cheep route. The CCR engine is always an option. Again good luck and remembe to have patience, youve got a lot of people wanting to help you. Your not alone.

Ben