Ultimate Subaru Message Board

let's see those ea81 center consoles!

ok, I know there are quite a few different ea81 center console configurations...

I'm mostly interested in pictures of the area where the radio goes... but variations on the center armrest and 4wd shifter areas would be cool too...

I'd like to see what kind of options there are for little stash spots around the radio... mostly I've seen only 1 stash spot near the radio, but I've seen a couple photos that show there may be another one available...

so lets see those ea81 consoles!

--Spiffy

my GL-10 ..just has the one stash spot due to having the factory cassette deck:

LBCoupe009.jpg

My old GLF..had 2 cause..it didnt have the cassette deck:

82GLFCoupe014.jpg

Since both were FWDs ..there is nothing interesteing about that part..cept the GL-10 has high rise console and the GLF had low rise

thanks!

I see a theme here... you all have an '83 and have an extra stash spot below the radio/tape area above the shifter that my '82 doesn't have...

is that console the same for '83-'84? and will it swap right into my '82 easily?

anybody have pics of older consoles? I know there's some slant pics around somewhere...

--Spiffy

centerdash1.jpg

Mine has no stash spots. Mine's an '83 GL. Which looking at the pics. Some of those look to be only FWD? (correct me if I'm wrong) And the main shifter on mine seems further forward allowing room for the 4WD lever. And no stash spot.

But I got the factory Clarion cassette deck! :banana:

Which still works flawless.

I normaly hang a cup holder off of the ashtray.

Sorry about the dirt, still gotta clean it after yesterday. It was so hot and dusty I was covered in mud by the end of the day.

+1 for factory stereo! I use the ashtray to hold my mp3 player... although cup holders would rock...

Some of those look to be only FWD? (correct me if I'm wrong) And the main shifter on mine seems further forward allowing room for the 4WD lever. And no stash spot.

I think you may be onto something... so we get 4wd, but no extra stash spot... that's probably a fair trade...

does anybody have both a fwd and 4wd console to compare?

I'd really like to have that extra stash spot, but it looks like it might be fwd only if the shifter isn't in the right spot...

--Spiffy

Nice setups you got there Pooparu. :)

===============

Yeah I wouldn't see why the shifter would be different. Would think it would be the same spot actually. But it just kinda looked to me that the 4WD one is further forward than the FWD. But like I said I could be wrong. :)

I have been doing some recent footwork in the local PAP looking for parts. I am working on swaping from my original 4WD console to a 2WD console, the latter having the pockets we all desire. So far, you will need the two brackets that hold the 2WD piece in. One on the transmission tunnel, two screws are removed. The second can only be replaced by first removing the HVAC control cover. Once exposed, four small screws hold it in place.

IMG_4976.jpg

I have not yet put all these new goodies into my donor car, but one thing worries me. The shifter seemed very close to the pocket/stereo area. This might have been affected by the presence of 4WD console bracketry.

In the mean time, my dash looks like this:

IMG_4256-1.jpg

IMG_4267.jpg

IMG_4586.jpg

I have been doing some recent footwork in the local PAP looking for parts. I am working on swaping from my original 4WD console to a 2WD console, the latter having the pockets we all desire. So far, you will need the two brackets that hold the 2WD piece in. One on the transmission tunnel, two screws are removed. The second can only be replaced by first removing the HVAC control cover. Once exposed, four small screws hold it in place.

I have not yet put all these new goodies into my donor car, but one thing worries me. The shifter seemed very close to the pocket/stereo area. This might have been affected by the presence of 4WD console bracketry.

awesome! I'd like to know how that turns out since that seems like the route to go to get that extra stash pocket... if everything fits into place I'll be hunting down those parts locally...

--Spiffy

• 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...

my GL-10 ..just has the one stash spot due to having the factory cassette deck:

But I got the factory Clarion cassette deck! :banana:

Question for you guys...do you have any idea what the "PRO" button is for on the oem clarion tape deck? I've asked around and no one seems to know for sure.