Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So my dad just bought a 2000 OBW for my little brother, and of course the next day he found out its got a head gasket leak. So I get to help him fix it. Ive done the reseal on an ea82, so I know to do timing belts, water pump and seals while were in there. just wondering if there is anything else to do, and which head gaskets to use, Permatork or OEM.

croak

use Subaru OEM on the head gaskets. actually i like Subaru all the way around on everything for this EJ25 job except the timing belt pulleys (more on that below).

unlike the EA82 this is an interference engine. being that and it's nearly 10 years old i'd carefully inspect all the timing belt pulleys. replace any that are noisy or spin too freely. keep in mind they need to last another 100,000 miles (next timing belt).

i'm a big fan of just buying the Ebay timing belt kits - it comes will all new pulleys and a new tensioner. i'd rather have all new than one new and the rest 10 years old and lacking grease. i sometimes use the pulleys and still buy a Subaru belt.

the reasons are a few. one being that it's interference like i already mention, more valuable (newer), and the timing belt intervals are much longer. with an EA82 you can inspect them every 60,000 miles and replace them at 120k or 180k...but with these the timing belts are every 105,000. these pulleys already have some miles (and overheating) on them, and you're expecting an additional 100,000.

my suggestion is to either crack into it at 50,000 to inspect or just put all new stuff in there now. most people paying to have it done aren't going to "inspect it" so i just suggest going all new.

ebay kits are nice because very few people actually want to pay $500 just for a couple pulleys from subaru and i'd rather have all new than some new and some old.

have the valves adjusted while it's at the machine shop.

no brainer stuff - reseal the oil pump and replace the cam seals and valve cover gaskets. all very easy to do, particularly once the timing belt is off. check the oil pump backing plate screws. any that are loose, put locktite on the threads and reinstall them tight.