Ultimate Subaru Message Board

out with the old interior..... IN WITH THE NEW!

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

Replacing the old carpet and padding. will be putting black carpet instead of blue. Will be running some speaker wires underneath for future rear speaker install. Also considering running power underneath for future installiation of an amp under the pass. seat.

It's pushing 90 outside right now so the rest of the carpet and clean-up will have to wait till this evening.... :headbang:

ok, break time. having a Popsicle.

got the speaker in. other side will go in fast now that got it figured!

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

i cut some circles out of the old carpet to fill the holes left by the origional speaker grill. :)

Good luck with the stereo install. I am doing the same now in my 87 Brat. Did you get the carpet/padding custom made or is it available someplace?

nope, just straight off the roll. i believe some outfit in Australia (sp?) sells molded carpet but price/shipping is a deal breaker on that!

IT'S OFFICIAL. SPEAKERS ARE IN, YAY!!

no pic. looks like other side. :) now time to start on the new wiring harness. looks like carpet may have to wait till tomorrow..... no tunes the last week or so has sucked! hopefully i can get it plugged in tonight. :headbang:

Great job so far. I am installing a Sony MEX-BT2600 in the dash and Infinity Kappa 42.5i's (purchased in 2005, but was too lazy to install) in the doors and 32.5i's (also 2005) in the dash. I am running 12 guage wires to all. These speakers have separate crossovers. The dash speakers are no problems. I have an abs plastic sheet that crutchfield sent me in 2005, that I will make brackets out of. My dilemma is the original Subaru door speaker grills are worn to a point that they need to be replaced. The 42.5i Infinity grills are barely large enough to fill the circular door/carpet cutout, if I do this carefully. However, I will have to fill in the monster four holes with something to make it appear stock and neat. Do you know if there are generic larger speaker grill available. I am going to see if crutchfield has some.....

Do not mean to hijack this thread, but since we are doing similar things now, just wanted to ask without duplicating in another post............

you can always replace the door carpet. once you remove the lower door panel, (mines an '85, not sure if it's the same as yours) you will see how easy the carpet is to remove. use it as a template. you can get edging for the carpet at most home improvement stores. it's called carpet runner trim. i may go that route myself at a later date.

thanks. put stereo in for a test run and nothing blew up!! now i can start the carpet install and get the stereo and consoles in for real!

this is what i got...

22468.JPG

still wanna get a graphic EQ/pre-amp for it. i hate those built in ones.

something like this..

leq12.jpg

Thats a nice set up...thinking on doing the same with my coupe ( getting one with remote).. I am planning on doing a hidden upgrade..to keep the stock look on the dash but have everything else..out of sight.

Like what you did with the speakers ..alot .

FINISHED PRODUCT! :banana: :banana:

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

stereo frickin' rocks! :headbang: nice tight carpet fit, only screwed up in two spots on the carpet but unless you know, you will never see.

it's all in the prep work....

• 2 months later...
Looks great! I bought a crappy carpet kit for my brat from JC whitney (I think...) and it looks like #$%#@. Do you have a pattern or did you just cut and fit? I'm going to rip mine out and start over. Thanks for the motivation.

Daniel

i used the old carpet as a pattern. just cut it larger than the original to give me some wiggle room. i actually did it two pieces with the seam running door to door under the seats, like the original carpet. i think the real key(s) was using that thick padding (it's the stuff used in houses) a hot glue gun, and a little patience. the carpet is from a home improvement store. look for automotive carpet. most should carry it.

Edited by jonas