Ultimate Subaru Message Board

can you rebuild subaru clutch LSDs

i remember i had an old 80s toyota that i was still able to go to toyota and get all new clutch plates, springs and anything else to fully rebuild the LSD. you could even order thicker ones for more grip.

but can you do that with the subaru clutch LSD?

i remember i had an old 80s toyota that i was still able to go to toyota and get all new clutch plates, springs and anything else to fully rebuild the LSD. you could even order thicker ones for more grip.

but can you do that with the subaru clutch LSD?

Give Jason (in Parts) a call (toll free 1-866-528-5282) at what used to be Auburn Subaru. If it can be gotten from Subaru he'll find it.

Toyots was still a nice old fashioned LSD diff, with cone clutches and all.

Subaru uses a sealed viscous unit. Its not servicable except to replace the viscous unit.

Are you asking because you are showing signs of torque bind?

nipper

Unless he has an earlier clutch style unit (ea82 vintage) which he refers to in his post.

I would think they are servicable, but finding parts from them would be another matter. The LSD's weren't outfitted on a ton of cars, so it goes to reason that the parts for them wouldn't be plentiful either.

Subaru uses a sealed viscous unit. Its not servicable except to replace the viscous unit.

nipper

i'm talking about the older ea82 style like Subarutex said.

i'm going to get a hold of subaru and see what tell me

nipper

Subaru has two types of LSD; the earlier LSD type from the early '80's was a clutch type. The more recent, VLSD is a viscous type. I think he was thinking about the early version.

well jason is out till next week so i called my local dealership. not that i don't think the girl tried but she said that the clutch discs are no longer available, they did at one point even have over sized ones but those are long gone too.

i will still get a hold of jason next week and see what he says. but so far it's not looking good.

clutch lsd part numbers:

Part # Description Unit Price

485907001 Disk Friction 1.65 $42.52

485907002 Disk Friction 1.90 $41.28

485937001 Washer $9.03

485937002 Washer $9.03

485937003 Washer $9.03

485877000 Plate Friction $42.52

485897000 Disk Spring $21.92

Subtotal: $175.32

HTH,

Kaz

clutch lsd part numbers:

485937001 Washer $9.03

485937002 Washer $9.03

485937003 Washer $9.03

HTH,

Kaz

NICE!!!!:clap:

i will have to see what my subaru dealership says about those part numbers. i'm sure it will confuse them. :lol:

clutch lsd part numbers:

485937001 Washer $9.03

485937002 Washer $9.03

485937003 Washer $9.03

HTH,

Kaz

you wouldn't happen to have the exploded view of with the part numbers with them would you?

NICE!!!!:clap:

i will have to see what my subaru dealership says about those part numbers. i'm sure it will confuse them. :lol:

Call Lithia Subaru In Oregon City and ask for Paul in the parts' department. He's the department manager and he has been with working in that parts department for over 25 years.

Call Lithia Subaru In Oregon City and ask for Paul in the parts' department. He's the department manager and he has been with working in that parts department for over 25 years.

he was the one i always go to but he was out when i called the other day.

she said that the clutch discs are no longer available, they did at one point even have over sized ones but those are long gone too.
if they're gone it's probably in large part due to the datsun crowd. few of them on Subaru's are ever rebuilt, there's rarely a need.

i'd be interested too if this works out. i'd be interested in increasing the clutch force too, i think that's "adjustable" to a degree.

if they're gone it's probably in large part due to the datsun crowd. few of them on Subaru's are ever rebuilt, there's rarely a need.

i'd be interested too if this works out. i'd be interested in increasing the clutch force too, i think that's "adjustable" to a degree.

hey, it IS an hitachi gearbox, not a fuji or a nissan unit. The use of the unit in the 510 grants the market so much demand for the rebuild parts that I would wager dollars to donuts that not only are they are still available, but that if the datsun guys DIDN'T use the gearbox then they would have long since been discontinued.

EDIT and if the 160s are at ALL like the 180s and 200s, yes, it IS adjustable. The slip force is adjustable in the VLSDs as well, you have to remove the viscous coupling and change the fluid in that to a stiffer fluid.. its a simpler way to alter the locking characteristics than adjusting clutch shim height.

I know a decent about about rebuilding one of these LSDs, but only secondhand knowledge from reading on the internet. If you want some instructions or guidance, go to http://www.hybridz.org and search CLSD replacement and you should turn up plenty of interesting threads on how its done for the larger diameter boxes.

• 2 years later...

I rebuild Rx7 clutch type Lsd's quite often, and they are the same basic setup. If you need to add lockup in a pinch or compensate for worn discs, use a shim between the last cone washer in the stack and the housing. A red bull can with the ends cut off and flattened out is the perfect shim stock for a little massaging. standard soda cans are a hair thicker if you need more lockup.

Isaac