Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone driven the Forester XT?

Guest photo2001

Would love to hear reviews from anyone who has driven the Forester XT. Is it worth the difference in price from the XS? Other than the Turbo engine, are there any noteworthy standard or optional items on the XT? Heard the mileage is much worse than the X or XS, is this true?

Thanks!

photo2001

Guest Flowmastered87GL

my roommate drove it. nothing special, the WRX wagon seems much more ideal as its only slightly smaller, handles better, is faster and cheaper... oh, it gets better mileage too. The auto tranny and the turbo was a bad combination, it chose bad places to downshift.

Guest renobk

I drove an auto XT and a manual WRX wagon last week and I have to admit, the Forester's 2.5l engine has some serious kick right off the line. Even with the auto transmission, it felt much quicker than the WRX around town. The added displacement and torque was certainly noticable, especially compared to my 2001 Outback (5sp). The WRX needs lots of revs to get moving -- something that seems worse when it's really hot outside (100deg plus) and the AC is running.

Having said that, I ended up driving home in an 04 WRX wagon (5sp) because the whole package feels sportier to me than the Forester, in spite of the turbo lag. My goal in replacing my Outback wagon was to get something sportier, and to me the WRX fit that perfectly. I loved the XT, but not enough to write a check for it.

Compared to the XS, the XT has mostly subtle differences (other than the motor). Both are really well equipped, although I was sad you couldn't get a sunroof with the manual transmission XT.

B

Guest Witte

Flowmaster, the XT is only slightly heaiver (35lbs) slightly more expensive ($500), but has a HUGE adavantage in the drivetrain. The EJ25 turbo in the XT is hands down a better motor than the WRX's EJ20. They had to DETUNE the XT to make it merely AS FAST as the WRX. Plus with an auto the extra torque of the XT will be alot more fun to drive than a Auto WRX (which is closer to deathtrap than sports car).

Oh and the forester has ALOT more toys.

Basicly if you plan to mod the car at all the Forester XT is hands down teh winnar. Stock V Stock its slightly better.

BTW the WRX springs and struts bolt right in and lower the forester ALOT even w/o lowering springs. So some nice STi takeoff's and you are set for suspension...

Guest Flowmastered87GL

Hmmm the forester is barely heavier? I was unaware of that. I know its on the same basic platform but I thought all that roof and glass would add weight.

On price. Although the sticker prices may be similar, the dealer I went to wanted like 29000 for a forester XT. I dont think it even had leather or moonroof or anything. So it was comparibly equipped to an automatic WRX wagon. Which the same dealer would sell for like 23-24000 I think. So the amount in which the dealer is willing to bargain is the price difference I really notice I guess is the best way to put it.

Guest ict89saleen

My fiance was tired of her 2000 mustang gt conv. (after last years first snow) and was wanting an SUV. I read the article in Car and Driver last Tuesday and we bought one on Wednesday. So far we love the car. Much more comfortable and solid than the mustang....and would probably out run it too. I'm wondering if any aftermarket hop-up parts would be worth the time/trouble on this car? Any ideas?

Guest Dennis

honestly it wouldnt take much to get the forester to run the WRX, considering 5 speed forester XTs can actually break the wheels loose

dont bother asking how i know that by the way

Guest lothar34

Yeah, it's the August issue. It won't be on their website until then.

They got 5.3s for 0-60, and 13.8 @ 97mph,