Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen 1 brat

First I want to say thanks to Skip for the help. I am a newbie here and just picked up a 79 brat for $300! Can't wait to get it home! My question is how can I find info on my vin# ? The guy said the vin# is on the drivers side door. I asked him this because I didn't see one on the dash. It has a hard plastic dash cover on it and the cover has a slot in it for the plate to show thru. Anyways, this # i got is kinda weird it starts "A69L-" So...

1- Is this true about the vin location?

2- Is this series of #'s I found the ones I'm looking for?

3- How do I decipher it?

Thanks

so its not on the dash , like, under the insp sticker spot near the winshield, but on the firewall on gen2 and ea82. Thanks Miles.

What do ya'll think about this:

1980 wagon runs good plus parts car.$400

this is all i know. About 1 hr away, would anyone be interested in any parts?

Yeah, after digging thru posts for hours last night i found out that at least the"A69" part was prob right, but still not definate! What kinda trouble could this spell for me if the vin is missing off the dash(assuming it is suppose to be there.) This may not be the original dash , prob never know for sure on that. Is it legal?

If it isn't the orig dash is it normal to take the tag off since it wont match the door(which could be replaced as well.) I guess the only way to know 4 sure is to get it from the firewall.

ok, so i found that the 79 brat has the vin # on DRIVERS side firewall.luckily it matches the one on the drivers side door of mine since the one on the dash is gone. still looking for that decoder . will post when i find more info

Ok, thanks GD. I should be bringing it home Sat. The guy I bought it from is having the carb rebuilt for free!! Not just the gasket kit either, he ordered seats , etc. that's been the holdup. I'll post pics as soon as I get it here. WARNING: It's really ugly! Someone redid it apparently during the mini truck phase, it's in great shape but the colors are disgusting!! You'll see!

Ok, I'll give you a written preview:

This thing is purple with a teal stripe down either side.

The whole interior has been redone nicely except for the colors

The seats are purple and yellow vinyl as well as the doors. The roof liner and back panel are both purple vinyl. The quality isn't bad at all but there is no way I can live with those colors! The dash has a black hard plastic cover glued on. Black carpet.

Plans:

1st things 1st...sand then camo. Seat covers and vinyl paint or camo cloth for the interior.

3in lift,wheels,tires, d/r tranny(not nec. in that order)

I may wait till spring to do the actual Camo but I gotta cover that

"Mighty Ducks" color scheme now!

Theres a certain amount of respect for an abandoned car in a field thats recoverd even if it's a heap. Right now this things just a disgrace!!

hi new brat owner.

its cool to see one more 1st gen car on the board. oops TRUCK on the board.

anyway yes on all first gen cars 1979 and before and 1981 for brat. the vin is on the firewall on the drivers side. it is also on the dash, and on the door or door sill. also it is in the body onunder the rear of the car. not shure where on that last one but i think it used to be in the pass side rear fenderwell on some models. anyway the A somthing is the vin number.

later brian

oh and on the legality of it. well ive never heard of a problem. if you want clean the firewall good where the vin is and if your ever asked about it just say well this is how i bought it and here is the vin.

good luck

shot us some pix when you have some time and post them in the galery

Cool, thanks guys. Unfortunately it snowed about 3in here today so the whole friggin place shuts down(it's really rediculous) so the guy wans't able to do my carb today. I'm lookin at sometime next week prob then I'll get some pics. What do you have Tailgate? I just found out last night that my mother in-law is going to sell me her Outback next Dec. for 2grand!! It's a 97-99,

not sure exactly but either way it a REAL steal! So I might not put too much effort into the brat as far as lift and all just yet due to $flow but I HAVE to paint it!

Sounds like a sweet ride:burnout: I picked up a 77 out of some guys back yard for $50 some years ago. I had to weld the pass. side door hinges back on just to drive the thing. Never did get a pass side window for it thoe, and I drove it all winter. Damn was it cold.;)