Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 inch 1st gen Legacy lift!!!! Details

Gloyale

So here it is. Our first Lift kit. Fabricated all our own stuff. Here's what we started with 90 Legacy, 5spd, stock. junejuly2008207.jpg

This lift is a combination of suspension, using outback struts, and outback rear trailing arm mounts, and a body lift of 3 inches using blocks on top of the strut mounts and between the crossmembers and control arm mounts.

These are a few pics of our rear strut top hanging for painting. junejuly2008199.jpg rear strut block mounted to the strut. junejuly2008229.jpg and the control arm and crossmember blocks still bolted to our *jig*, a chopped and flipped over legacy unibody section. junejuly2008192.jpgjunejuly2008194.jpg

Dropping the rear crossmember

Adding the blocks junejuly2008225.jpg

junejuly2008224.jpg

junejuly2008223.jpg

junejuly2008226.jpg

And relocating the brake line bracket on to our block for flex.

junejuly2008230.jpg

Installing the taller outback trailing arm mounts.

junejuly2008219.jpg

junejuly2008217.jpg

Removing the front crossmember bolts is easy from below, but don't forget this screw holding the bolt/plate assembly. junejuly2008271.jpg

And here is the results (and me in the blue shirt) junejuly2008275.jpg

Still working out a steering linkage, we used on for an outback first, but it isn't quite right. Not sure if we can adjust the positioning or if we might need to lengthen it. If we do, it will only be 1/2 in or less. I was surprised the outback shaft was sooooo clkose to being the right length, i was expecting to have to extend it more.

Also the trans rear crossmember is still hitting against the shift stay rod. And the driveline angle is a hair off what I'd like. Shimming of either the trans mount or the carrier bearing will be in order.

And lastly, the rear wheels are to far forward in the well. I made a lengthened trailing arm to alleviate (only finished one) but now am thinking fabricating a new mounting bracket that would pout the pivot point for the arm further back. Not sure which one I'll end up doing.

More details as things progress

What do ya'll think????

• Like 1

Nice. :headbang:

Having a section of car around to use as a jig proly helped a ton. :)

Immensely.

I have four *jig* sections from that car still.

The front subframe mount section, the rear subframe mount section, and the front and rear end sections for bumper jigs.

All the rest of the car's unibody was scrapped:clap:

Looks good.

Can i make a suggestion.

This bracket

junejuly2008194.jpg

i've seen these mounts tear just like the old ea82 ones did.Quite a lot of force in that area.

brokenmount001mc9_Small_.jpg

In Aus some lift manufacturers supply you with a flat bar that goes from one block back to the two holes you can see in the chassis,to brace it.

Like this

DSC03425.jpg

junejuly2008194.jpg

It's not drilled yet in this picture, but the longer of the 2 blocks got a second hole and bolt. That is where the crossmember for manual trans vehichles bolts on. (Autos come with plugs in those holes)

But the bar suggestion is nice, I might end up doing something like that. Although that lift appears to be only 2 inches or so, so I'm not sure a *flat* bar would work for a 3 or 4 inch block, it'd have to be bent, which then means reinforcing it so it didn't just bend more when force is applied.

It's not drilled yet in this picture, but the longer of the 2 blocks got a second hole and bolt. That is where the crossmember for manual trans vehichles bolts on. (Autos come with plugs in those holes)

Yeah that would of been my second suggestion.Another local lift builder does the double bolt/one block and hasn't had any problems so the bar isn't necessary.That is how i'm replacing the one in my 00 OB.

Looks good!

Now, make a "kit" to swap d/r trannies in the ej cars and you'll have a huge seller.

I have a d/r in my 90' lifted(4 1/2") legacy. IMHO, the trans is just as important as the lift for off roading.

Keep up the good work!

Looks good!

Now, make a "kit" to swap d/r trannies in the ej cars and you'll have a huge seller.

I have a d/r in my 90' lifted(4 1/2") legacy. IMHO, the trans is just as important as the lift for off roading.

There are at least 3 sources of adapter plates currently avavilable. I don't really have an interest in it.

We are going to be further building a motor up for more power and there is no way I'm running it through a beat a** old 20+ year old GL trans. And have to drive in 2wd on pavement? No thanks.

I could try to find a RX *fulltime* tranny, but again, not really what I want to do.

We have wheeled PLENTY with a few Legacies not even as lifted as this, but with way bigger tires, and only feel a tad more horsepower is nessecary. And we got the Ponies coming.

If it does get a D/R, it will be a real EJ D/R imported from Down Under :headbang:

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...