Ultimate Subaru Message Board

half a$$ed heater core replacement

i just put alot of work into this hatch, and the first time i got it up to temp, the floorboard filled up with green stuff. im not taking out the dash. i was thinking i could just stick some small heater core in front of the blower motor, and build a box around it, and then i could blow hot air through my crappy heater core. its about to get down to 0 and below for the next few days, so im gonna get inventive. i'll take pics.

oh, come on!! bite the bullet and rip into her!!!

I got a new heater core for $72 and change from Advance Auto and plan on doing mine very soon, and I have never attempted something this involved yet....if you want to, bring it on over and we can compare notes as we go!!! I am only about 3 1/2 hours from the cities, and I do have a large garage available, altho the only heat is a portable kerosene heater...better than nothing tho. :D

A buddy of mine lost heat in his CJ so he went to the junk yard and got a bus heater.Even with the crappy soft top on that thing it was never cold ever.He just ran the hoses underneath along the frame cut a hole for each hose into the back where he mounted the core and fan asembly siliconed the snot out of them ran power to the fan under the carpet. Im sure youre hatch would have enough in the back for one.

i did gut the car for weight, maybe i'll put one of my spare ej radiators behind the seats with the dual fans!

thats the thing moosens. i always put alot of work into something, and just when i think im done, bam! more nightmare work. goes real fast but it sure is cold!

just so you get an idea of all the crap i have already done

1. installed mpfi ea82

2. ran fuel injection harness

3. discovered i cant make efi work doh!

4. take out motor, put in spfi block with weber

5. weber float sticks fills motor with fuel

6. do another oil change, and put on hitachi

7. start with hitachi, get wet feet

8. pulled back into garage and scuffed the door DOH!

i just wanna drive it! has anyone ever just found the hoses broke? or the heater valve thing? does the heater core get a hole in it? or do the welds break or something?

the last time i did a heater core it was in a s-10 and i just cut a hole in the firewall with a cutoff wheel, and pulled it out through the engine bay.

im sure i'll do SOMETHING sunday.

the last time i did a heater core it was in a s-10 and i just cut a hole in the firewall with a cutoff wheel, and pulled it out through the engine bay.

HI, I volunteered this exact same idea a few weeks ago (dont remember on what thread) and thought if was maybe a crazy idea.

How did it turn out? Why would you not do it again? What problems did you encounter?