Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another Swap Question, (already searched)

last night i was searching and toying with the idea of pulling the Phase 1 EJ out of my OBW its up to 181,000 with no head gasket replacement. (knock on wood) and dropping in a Phase 2, now i have found lots of write up's all very detailed! however there are some questions that i have, bear with me im mosly a EA guy so the EJ thing is something i'll have to get used to

What is the Horsepower difference between the phase 1 and phase 2?

how long does this swap usualy take with all parts (mostly) on hand

How many buddys do i need to help lift and restuff the engines?

Is it a good idea to install updated head gaskets and studs on the Phase 2 before install?

Final Question, would i be better off just doing the 2.2 swap? will i miss the horsepower if i do?

Thanks guys

Do you have a link to a write up. I was about to do the same thing and had the computer and all. I was told it was plug and play with the harnesses but it wasn't even close. I decided not to do the swap and resold the engine/computer for more than I had paid.

when you're doing a swap there are a couple ways to make it work. but i'm not familiar with the one you're doing so i can't say which do/do not work.

plug and play. this variety plugs right in no problem.

intake manifold swap. if the original intake bolts up to the new block then it's easy becuase you're retaining the harness and electronics of the old engine anyway.

the last resort is to swap your existing wiring harness (the Phase I that's in the car now) onto the new Phase II intake manifold/engine. swap everything, all the sensors too. not that hard and it's the sure way to get it to work.

the only thing i'm not sure of is if the cam sprockets will work. that's alleviated by just swapping the cam sprockets usually. but in this case when going from DOHC to SOHC...i'm not sure the sprockets are interchangeable in the same way they are on other EJ's.

you're not reallying getting a HP upgrade with the Phase II EJ25 if that's what you're after. but they are a better motor in my opinion.

Well i guess my only concern is that i tow a small 14 foot fishing boat with my car, and i dont want to come up short on the hills and boat ramp. can i juice up the EJ22 just enough to have the same performance if not more then a EJ25 dohc, without making it a whole lot less reliable?

i wouldn't pull one EJ25 and install another with original head gaskets in the name of reliability. your current one may be due for a timing belt, pulleys and water pump though, i'd plan on changing any of those that are old and keep the same engine.

i've towed small trailers with riding mowers with mine (EJ22) with no problem. light stuff like that, it's like it's not even there. there's a number of towing threads, maybe you could check those out and see what people with EJ22's are saying.

i can't imagine you'd have a problem. maybe if you're driving over mountains you'll need to downshift to 3rd sooner, but even the EJ25 will need to downshift on steep mountain grades.

i haven't gotten many answers to upgrading an EJ22. i would imagine an exhaust or intake change might make a small difference but it's not going to bump you 20 hp that's for sure.

if your outback is a 5speed and you put in a 2.2, no problem, just wind it out a little more brfore you shift. if it's an auto you may notice a little differencr but not much. if you want to put some of the power back in itwhen pulling a heavy load a couple of times a year, get a second set of wheels and put on legacy L size tires, this will increase your power ratio by about 8% or so.

Maybe I missed it, but why swap out a good, known engine? If the HG goes it'll likely give warning signs, and you'll have time to find an engine.

I've read on here (I think) that the torque of the 2.2 and the 2.5 are comparable. So towing shouldn't be an issue.

If you drive up into the mountains a lot, then the 2.5 may be better.

Check out cars101.com....I believe the 2.5 was 155hp in '96; 165hp '97-'05?; and 170hp currently.

Good luck.

i guess my next question is, does the new head gaskets take care of the head gasket problem? if so then ill pull the 2.5 out and rebuild it, however if i still have to live in fear that someday a head gasket will give prematurly, then ill go to a 2.2 and boost it slightly.

Well i guess my only concern is that i tow a small 14 foot fishing boat with my car, and i dont want to come up short on the hills and boat ramp. can i juice up the EJ22 just enough to have the same performance if not more then a EJ25 dohc, without making it a whole lot less reliable?

another option is to do a hybrid motor with the EJ25 shortblock and the Ej22 heads. It will give you more torque b/c the set up is a high compression motor. You can get a set of junkyard Ej22 heads and rebuild them while the Ej25 is still good. Then when the HG give out, pull the motor, and plop the new heads onto them and put the motor back in. I am sure there are a few other things you have to do but this is a weekend swap that will definately work.

Another thought is to just do the HGs on the EJ25 when they go. The newer HG are of a good design and I have heard good results after they are done. You can even go with cometic head gaskets if you really are paranoid.

just my 2 cents.