Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Idea on drilling flywheel

Could I drill the symmetrical holes inbetween the a-symmetrical holes of the EA82 flywheel and just have it balanced? I talked to a couple machine shops and they said they wouldn't weld on an iron flywheel (acutally have no idea what my soob's is.. guessing iron).

I've also heard of grinding the existing holes with a Dremel to fit the symmetrical pattern. If anybody's done this... what # Dremel bit did you use?

Could I drill the symmetrical holes inbetween the a-symmetrical holes of the EA82 flywheel and just have it balanced? I talked to a couple machine shops and they said they wouldn't weld on an iron flywheel (acutally have no idea what my soob's is.. guessing iron).

I've also heard of grinding the existing holes with a Dremel to fit the symmetrical pattern. If anybody's done this... what # Dremel bit did you use?

the holes are not far enough apart to drill a new pattern between them

I don't know what number bit, but it was the smaller (~1/4" diameter) grind stone. I think I used up a couple of them.....but I've been running it for almost 35k miles with zero problems.

the holes are not far enough apart to drill a new pattern between them

I don't know what number bit, but it was the smaller (~1/4" diameter) grind stone. I think I used up a couple of them.....but I've been running it for almost 35k miles with zero problems.

Alright good to know!! I will go buy a few of those stones. Thanks!!