Ultimate Subaru Message Board

emergency ea81 oil burnage/spewage issue!

I am trying to get an '83 ea81 with a hitachi, running by tomorrow, my neighbor wants to buy it because his saab pooped out on him and it costs too much.. anyways,

I replaced the intake manifold on this one and i removed almost all the emissions/vacume stuffs... and for some reason, it is having crank case pressure issues- I think the PCV valve is one of hte probelms, (which i will take care of tomorrow...)

but, to try and figure out where this oil is coming from, I connected the crank case breathers (on the valve covers) to the airbox (blue subaru one) and it seems to suck oil up from the breathers! (oil is sitting in the airbox)

we tried a different thing- took the oil cap off (with the breather hoses still connected to the airbox) and reved the engine up- it sprayed all over the place out of the oil filler!!! (too much pressure!)

another weird issue- with the airbox open, and engine running- poured a little trickle of water down the carb, (a good old time trick on how to clean engines out, and it does work) anyways, kept it running while pouring the water in by reving it up... seemed to suck the water down fine, but then water drops started spraying out of the passenger side valve cover breather!!! why??? how????? I dont get it!!??

could this be a blown headgasket? (not likely, considering there is no antifreeze or water in the oil, and no bubbles in the coolant)

is there something in the heads that could be cloged and making the circulation of oil in the bottom end of the engine not happen?

what would cause too much pressure in the crankcase?? (even with the cap off and the breather hoses opened up)

even the dipstick had oil pressure issues, it started spraying out that hole when i took it out!

this is sooooo frustrating! please help!!

thanks!!

(thanks Ed and Corky too for the advice! on the PCV valve, i checked, and it said "made in USA"... I need to find an OEM valve!)

Hey Ratty, I have a lot of the same symptoms in my 84 Ea81 hatch. The oil/water mix in the airbox is only coming from the passenger side valve cover, and it looks like a nasty milkshake. The same stuff is all coated inside the oil fill tube also, but the oil on the dipstick is very clean, no sign of coolant. The exhaust didn't show much sign of coolant being burned (you know that pure white cloud). I also had no sign of bubbles in the radiator, yet the coolant level would gradually get lower. I inspected all hoses and connections, none were leaking. Although my new radiator cap kept allowing coolant to escape into the reservoir, when the lost coolant was put back in the system, it wasn't enough to fill it up(the engine was not overheating either).

Ok so time for compression check. The driver's side cylinders both registered at 155 psi consistently. Now, while I was testing this side I could see liquid blasting out of the sparkplug holes on the passenger side and it wasn't gas because I drained the fuel system. Sure enough, when I checked compression on the passenger side, they were both barely 100 psi, and it was a very gradual climb to get there. This time, when I started the beast up to move it, i got that dreaded white smoke cloud. Another thing to mention: the spark plugs on the bad side had rust on them.

Turns out to be a bad head gasket. It figures though, I've been hot rodding the crap out of it in the snow. :brow:

Anyway hope this helps, good luck

My automotive professor told me about the water cleaning thing. Apparently, it blows built-up carbon out of your engine when you pour water into the intake while it's running. Usually, you have to run it around 2000 rpm to keep it from dying when you pour the water in.