Ultimate Subaru Message Board

push button locking center diff????

i have a 90 loyale, came with a push button 4 wheel drive, and i know you arent supposed to put it in 4wd on pavement but i did just for fun lol, and when i have a open 3.90 rear diff, and when i cornered it would feel like it was all locked up? do these trans have a center locking diff or transfer case type "thing" lol well thanks

It seems like almost every day a there is a thread where a noob asks about driving in 4WD on pavement. . .

- Thoughts?

Maybe if you gave a kind "please search to find what your after" and maybe include a quick link to the search page. Or you could possibly say "No". Or even just not answer.

Agreed.

It isn't the best thing to do. 4wd should only be used in situations where tire slippage is expected. Eg: Ice, snow, sand, mud, maybe loose gravel.

i know you arent supposed to put it in 4wd on pavement but i did just for fun lol

transfer case type "thing" lol

Maybe if you gave a kind "please search to find what your after" and maybe include a quick link to the search page. Or you could possibly say "No". Or even just not answer.

Too much lol (Lunch On Lap) for me to get wound into.

thanks Phizinza for backin me up, lol, i am work on cars lol, i got my sub for 250 and like to beat the sh*t out of it i ran a est 220 shot of nos lol ( again est with fuel jet size, NOS jet size and fuel pressure) also i am running a sh*tty HHO set up and have upped my MPG from 23 average to 34 avg, again this is just a sh*tty weekend set up i plan on making a nice on lol. like i said i know you arent supposed to run 4wd on pavement, lol i aint no noob but i have seen like 3 classifieds for push button trannys with a " locking center" so that is why i figured you people on here would help clarify things, i am also currently building a LSD set up just like the phantom grip, yeah i know metal on metal and not friction discs lol o well, the diffs are like dime a dozen, and a few of my co workers ( father of one has alot of machines from his old machine shop) anyways we are in the process of fabing up a "locker" what will either of these be worth to you folks we plan on selling them but way cheaper than the phantom grip 300$,disclaimer *i have no affiliation with phantom grip and this is just a similar product not a phantom grip product and i will not say that they are a " phantom grip"

Theres a couple of trannies from the later 80's that have a locking center diff. The RX had a 5spd dual range with locking center diff and the XT6 5spd had a single range with locking center diff. If you plan on welding the rear diff and running it in 4wd on the pavement, bad things are going to happen. But seeing how you like working on cars, this will not bother you at all :-p

And I would love to see pics of the NOS setup you have ;)

i am also currently building a LSD set up just like the phantom grip, yeah i know metal on metal and not friction discs lol o well, the diffs are like dime a dozen, and a few of my co workers ( father of one has alot of machines from his old machine shop) anyways we are in the process of fabing up a "locker" what will either of these be worth to you folks we plan on selling them but way cheaper than the phantom grip 300$,disclaimer *i have no affiliation with phantom grip and this is just a similar product not a phantom grip product and i will not say that they are a " phantom grip"

1. Phantom Grip makes an LSD for the FRONT diff. Rear is no problem as LSD's were offered as stock items, and most folks that want massive grip in the rear weld their diffs anyway as LSD's generally suck with large tires.

2. A vacuum air locker or manual locker for the rear diff would be a cool thing..... unfortunately unless you also build chromoly stubs the effort is largely wasted. The whole rear end setup is one giant fuse - each component that you make stronger will just break other things till you reach the tranny and blow the gears out of it. They weren't designed for the load some of us are putting on it.

GD

1. Phantom Grip makes an LSD for the FRONT diff. Rear is no problem as LSD's were offered as stock items, and most folks that want massive grip in the rear weld their diffs anyway as LSD's generally suck with large tires.

2. A vacuum air locker or manual locker for the rear diff would be a cool thing..... unfortunately unless you also build chromoly stubs the effort is largely wasted. The whole rear end setup is one giant fuse - each component that you make stronger will just break other things till you reach the tranny and blow the gears out of it. They weren't designed for the load some of us are putting on it.

GD

yeah i know they wont handle to much abuse but maybe after we get this figured out we can work on fixing the next weakest link, then if it isnt worth it look in to swaping to a more upgradable diff??? will wait and see

Theres a couple of trannies from the later 80's that have a locking center diff. The RX had a 5spd dual range with locking center diff and the XT6 5spd had a single range with locking center diff. If you plan on welding the rear diff and running it in 4wd on the pavement, bad things are going to happen. But seeing how you like working on cars, this will not bother you at all :-p

And I would love to see pics of the NOS setup you have ;)

lol i never said anything about wleding it lol but w/e i will get some pics up here some day, and the few times i dorve it in 4wd was for ************s and giggles, and drunkenness maybe lol.

The weaknesses of the Subaru drive train have been talked about a lot here. The possibilities of upgrading parts too have been talked about.

In the rear your problem is the R160 diff, its small and breaks stubs. Then you've got the axles which can snap even before the stubs. And the joints open up and aventually break.

You also have the problem of the transfer gears in the gearbox stripping. And unless you can find a gearbox from another brand that will work (does not exist if you want 4wd) your stuck with them.

Turbone is pretty much on track, drive it hard and live with fixing it