Ultimate Subaru Message Board

swaybar delete? let's hear the good/bad/ugly for sway bar removal...

Spiffy

well I was swapping my exhaust and decided it was a good time to remove that sway bar...

I don't even notice on the road...

maybe that's because half the rubber on it was shot... the middle body mounts had been pounded and bent backwards so much I had to use a wrench instead of a socket to get them off... but it came off real easy...

haven't been offroad yet but I'm sure it'll help a little...

was gonna scrap it but I'll take the advice and hold onto it for projects requiring bent metal bars... (:

depends on your standards, if youre used to sports cars you might not like it but if you are used to lifted trucks with worn out steering you'd probably love it:lol:

Actually, I AM used to sports cars with tight suspension. Problem is, real roads are not racetracks.

My car is not even lifted, and without the swaybar, it handles MUCH better.

With the sway bar on, the car would understeer until you went off throttle, then the back end would lean over hard then whip around unpredictably. That makes drifting, or even just hard cornering a wild ride. Also, if you hit bumps while already leaned into the turn the whole car would become unsettled.

The inside front tire doesn't lift and spin in hard corners. The car doesn't jump around or become unsettled over bumps. And the initial turn in is much better entering a curve, so it is easier to bring the back end predictably around.

Point is, if you aint tried it, don't knock it cause you don't know.

Edited by Gloyale

if you aint tried it, don't knock it cause you don't know.

I tossed mine this past spring. Wish Id done it years ago.

I regularly drive my brat at 75+ on the interstate... no problems.

I regularly wheel my brat... no problems. :grin:

Pitch the bar!

• 2 weeks later...
If you live in NH, you won't pass inspection w/o the fron swaybar :rolleyes:

hhhmmm i live in new hampshire, havent had a sway bar for 4 years and got an inspection every year. i guess its how well you know the garage. i went to a dealer and they didnt give my bronco one because of no inside rearview mirror. baby mechanics, cry that its the law:confused: