Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Various L Series Q's

Just got an '85 GL 4WD Sedan, and have two questions:

1. Do all RX Turbo models come with a rear LSD? I'm assuming the LSD will simply bolt onto my propshaft....

2. I've heard that later model L series were full time 4WD. Is this true? If so, is it simply a different transfer case, or some form of viscous coupling?

Cheers,

-Esky

Hi Esky, welcome!

1. They do in the states and probably worldwide.

You didn't mention if you car is a auto or 5 speed trans or if it has a turbo. There are two different ratios, the turbos and autos are 3.7, the manual, non-turbos are 3.9. The RX is 3.7, if yours is 3.9 you can swap the slug from the RX into you case, there is a great write up on this elswhere on the board.

2. '87 to '89 there was a Full Time 4 wheel drive 5 speed available, dual range in the RX, single range in all others. The transmission is a self contained unit using a mechanical center differential with a vacuum operated locking collar to lock the center diff like a 4wd. On hard surfaces you would run with the diff unlocked or locked on loose surfaces.

There was also a Full Time, 4 speed auto (4EAT) trans available from '88 to '91, available in some turbo cars and some N/A XT's. These us a electronic/computer controlled clutch pack to connect the front and rear.

This information is USA specific, may very by location:-)

Cheers!

Sorry W.O. they did not have LSD, as the Doc pointed out.

I have an 89 GL-10 FT4EAT w/o LSD, I wondered about this when I got mine, he set me on the path to correctness.

Now the standard (read manual tranny) models did get the LSD standard, also as said by "the Doc".

Cheers for all the info!

Firstly, the car's a carby fed, 5 speed manual. Rear LSD sounds good, and I'll probably pick one up and do the rear disc brake conversion at the same time.

Does the RX have different gear ratios as well as the diff ratio??

Also, how difficult would it be to install the centre diff into my car (if I could locate one), and would it be worth it? At current I just drive it in FWD unless it pisses with rain or I hit the dirt - this is fine, except it tends to lift the inside wheel when cornering (which should be cured as soon as I invest some money in suspension...)