Plugs, Wires, Coil Pack, now have NGK BKR5E-11 took out PFR5B-11 gaped .044

O2 sensor upstream (front)

PCV, Air Filter,Gas filter

Tested:

MAF

TPS

Igntion timing

Compression

Happens hot and idleing randomly almost after engine runs, shutdown & restarted & allowed to idle for a short period.

What am I missing? Plugs look Lean . you can almost here it miss at the tailpipe, when it does it:banghead:

Thanks for any Input

Dave

Seven Sisters thanks for the Larry Carley Site!

Ive, preaty much rule out mechanical issues with a strong compression test, in my 1st post. But a fuel injector maybe, DTC's are for Cyl's 1&3 or fuel supply problem for that side of the engine ??? Both are on the same bank.

Anyone know how to ck the spray of an injector. Or the strengh

Dave

The Turbo WRX guys have had similiar problems. Claimed it could have been a fuel problem related to turbo heat. Keep searching using the code number and "CEL" on Google Groups.

I had to replace an injector once but it was a clear bad injector code and I've never tested one before. Easy enough to get them out (kinda just pop out after removing a couple cove screws) but you may need new seals when you put them back in.

Try a cleaner before drastically removing them.

Dave, since it's cylinder 1 & 3 misfire, Check the connectors on that side for the injectors. 12V is applied to them and the ECU then grounds the other side to activate them. I would start with checking the wiring harness or connectors.

Then maybe swap injector 1 with 2 and see if the problem moves.

I also can be a defective Cam or Crank sensor, but these are usually random cylinder failures, your sound pretty solid.

Try looking at the EGR, engine ground,and test the fuel pump. It seems like I read about this while trying to find out what was wrong with my beast.

Try looking in the Haynes manual under electrical 5-something or endwrench.com thats where I found the solution to mine

Well After through Checks & Inspection of electrical connections,hoses, vacum lines I have made the car run 90% better. Still I minor occasional skip at idle, But not like it was and so far NO CEL.

Fuel milage up to 24.5 from 21, but this is winter time here in the Northeast, So I don't expect a lot.

When I clean the throttle body, it was preaty gummy (96K). So I belive Injectors and Combustion chambers are also. Im toying with the Idea of "Air induction and Fuel cleaning service. Like BG services. Any one want to offer Pro or Cons on this? I've done a couple of Techron treatments

Dave

Ok, I'm new to this thread so please bear with me. What year is this vehicle and what is the engine size? Is this the 2.5 or the 2.2? Did you install an oe coil pack? Did you save the freeze frame data on the scanner? What I also need to know is if this vehicle is coding when it is warm or cold.

Fuel injectors. I had this problem with my 98gt when it had about 20k miles. Dealership never could reslove the problem, so I started checking it out. Replaced all the ignition componets (out of my pocket), finally decided to swap two of the fuel injectors. Problem jumped from Cyl 1-3 misfire to Cyl 2-4 misfire. It was just one injector causing the codes though. You might first try some Techron (the chevron fuel injector cleaner) or some marvel mystery oil (in the fuel). Anyhoo, good luck with it.

Pleiades, thats what I narrowed it down to "an injector going to lunch". I Checked with a copule of shops and my Dealer. going rate for cleaning services are $99. to $150.

Any way Im thinking cleaning just because of mileage & age. Ive done 3 techron treatments already with some positive results, but because I bought car with 87k in Sept. 03 (now 96k) who knows what the previous owner did or didn't do?

Some times it runs GREAT.

Dave

• 3 months later...

This may help out some people!

I thought I share some info with you on my '95 Legacy codes: P0401 (#1 cyl misfire) and P0420 (catalyst below threshold). Interestingly enough, I used to get the P0403 codes all the time until the coil pack was replaced with an OEM unit. I am buying the injector theory with the misfires. However, I'm a bit clueless as to the cause of the P0420. Can someone translate that code to english for me?:rolleyes: I've been getting this code for some time but don't really know how to diagnose it.

Thanks.

Ali

'95 wagon, 130k miles,auto, 2.2L

Ok, I'm new to this thread so please bear with me. What year is this vehicle and what is the engine size? Is this the 2.5 or the 2.2? Did you install an oe coil pack? Did you save the freeze frame data on the scanner? What I also need to know is if this vehicle is coding when it is warm or cold.