Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OEM or aftermarket?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ettev

ettev

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • Pottsville, PA

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:22 PM

For the EA81 engine gaskets is there any benefit to staying with OEM vs. aftermarket. I know on the EA82's the OEM oil pump gaskets seemed to be better than aftermarket but how about on the EA81's?

In particular I need to replace the front main crank seal, the oil pump gasket and the valve cover gaskets.

OEM or aftermarket?

#2 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,557 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:43 PM

I used name brand aftermarket for mine when i had it.

nipper

#3 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,755 posts
  • WV

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:58 PM

you are fine to use after markets on those.

i personally used to use after market with these but since last summer i'm a mostly subaru man.

i had an EA82 Fel-Pro crank seal last year that was very difficult to seat. finally went in but ended up leaking like a seive. replaced it with a subaru seal and all was well so the crank or engine block aren't to blame. i know it wasn't the installation. but i'm not saying that can't happen with subaru gaskets either, im' sure one bad one gets through.

#4 mountaingoatgruff

mountaingoatgruff

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • Turlock, Ca

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:13 PM

i put a fel-pro head set on my ea81. i used their perma-torque head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, valve guide seals, exhaust gaskets and bought fel-pro crank seals. i used a beck arnley oil pump seal kit. the oil pump leaks just a bit but i think its cuz one of the bolt holes was stripped. i also replaced my water pump with a new cardone one, i used the gasket that came with it and a light smearing of water pump/t-stat sealant - no leaks there.

i did go with oem gaskets for the intake manifold, t-stat housing (and oem t-stat) and tb base though. the felpro intake manifold gaskets and t-stat housing gaskets are just lame diecut paper while oem's are not simply paper and they have metal reinforcement in the middle.

i used GD's rvt trick (coat the cork gasket with a thin layer of rtv silicone and allow it to fully cure before installation) on the valve cover gaskets and i was able to reuse them after readjusting my valves with no leaks so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users