Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine Swap EJ22 91 to 98

Soiuxbwarrior

I have a 91 Legacy sedan LSI getting rusty and run down a lot, 151k.

Someone gave me a 99 Impreza L with a blown motor.Good looker. It blew the EJ22 stamp right off the block, might make a funny photo if your interested.

I called for a new/used motor, running about $1500 , they said the engine was spacific for 98 and 99. Is this 91 motor compatable? Maybe swap out a wiring harness? I have no clue.

Hope to get some discussion, thanks from Colorado.

the shortblock is compatible. There are some differences between the 91 and the 98 cam sensors. Overall I think you can just swap the shortblock out and it would work. make sure that the heads are not damaged.

Another option is to take the EJ22 heads and find a good EJ25 shortblock. Make Hybrid Frankenmotor. This set up will give you a high compression motor that will be a torque monster.

BW

your title says 1998 - but you're asking about a 1999. not a big deal but there were some motor changes in the 1999 version.

there will be some compatability issues - you will definitely want to retain all of the 1999 electronics, so swapping the intake manifold will have to be done. the intake manifold itself will not bolt to the 1991 EJ22 engine.

there's a chance the 1999 will not like the 1991 cam sensors/sprockets. if that is the case you'll want to try and use the 1999 cam sprockets on the 1991 engine.

pretty sure you'll have bellhousing bolt issues - one will be 4 bolt, the other will be 8. not a big deal, it's still workable. i believe you'll have to just use one bolt for the starter (no big deal) or drill/tap the other hole (not hard either). the 4 holes line up with 4 of the 8 others.

the 99 will have a screw on ATF filter as well. won't cause any issues - just a interesting difference for the 99.

its compatible, it just depends how indepth you want to get on the wiring as to how you want to go about it. also 1500 for a little 2.2 seems pretty steep to me. i can find 2.0 turbo motors with around 70k in excelent running condition for 1-1.5k. ej22's around 500.

ej22's around 500.
EJ22's in general are really cheap ($500 is a lot for around here) - but the 1999 model is a real freaky joker and there aren't a ton of them out there. they are typically expensive. kind of an annoying update on a motor they were phasing out anyway?

Thanks, I will procrastinate this project like every thing else. Looks like I`ll be taking it down to the block and swapping components listed above.

Maybe I should find a $500 EJ22, that old 91 LSi Is a trusty old steed, but it needs mucho work and scrap steel is $$$.

What about the heads from the 99, Will I have to swap heads out too? Assuming no, the 99 heads should be sold here or ebay, what is the market?

I really do thank you and understand the value of this place. I will gladly make a donation when the time comes.