Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CV axle replacement

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sidekickin

sidekickin

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Southwest Ohio

Posted 03 January 2004 - 04:53 PM

Hey guys,
Looks like I will be doing an axle replacement here soon on my hatchback. This will be the first one I have done. Up until now I have gotten by just replacing the boots right when they go bad. Even though the boots are all good, the joints are making noise and I have a pretty bad highway vibration. So I have decided to throw a couple of new axles on it. My question is this: My Haynes manual says that when I get the axle/steering knuckle assembly off the car that I have to take it to the dealer to have the axle removed from the steering knuckle. Is this really necessary or is there a way around it? I'd like to do this entire job myself. How have you guys done it? Thanks for your help!

Bill

Hitachi carb
133,000 miles

#2 86subaru

86subaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,094 posts
  • ohio

Posted 03 January 2004 - 05:04 PM

your you could just sell it to me ,:D

#3 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 03 January 2004 - 05:16 PM

Lot -0- help Jim, would fix his problem doh?.
Bill, please read this link, esp the Edrach posts, he is a resident master.
http://usmb.ultimate...xle replacement
HtH

#4 sidekickin

sidekickin

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Southwest Ohio

Posted 03 January 2004 - 05:19 PM

Thanks Skip!

#5 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 03 January 2004 - 05:27 PM

You are welcome Bill, good luck.

#6 electryc_monk

electryc_monk

Air-ride Airehead

• Members
  • 1,581 posts
  • Denton, Tx

Posted 03 January 2004 - 11:30 PM

I would suggest that you also think about this like lego's with grease involved. your just removing a few items to swap out a single piece, wiping the area clean or a good power wash at the DIY carwash before swapping will minimize the crap that might get into the grease of the hub's bearing areas. and then add some more to them and a little in the seal for good measure.... but them I'm being repetitive now and so I'll stop.

after you do this once the other side will be easier and you'll find a "pattern" to make it less frustrating onyourself too.

have fun dude!

#7 86subaru

86subaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,094 posts
  • ohio

Posted 03 January 2004 - 11:54 PM

no worse than telling me to unplug my wiper motor and it will fix the problem, and telling me to stick my head out the window if it rains

#8 UniqueTII

UniqueTII

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Ames, IA

Posted 04 January 2004 - 02:24 AM

I had no problem pounding out the old CV with a rubber mallet.

#9 kecksnext

kecksnext

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Valley Forge

Posted 04 January 2004 - 02:42 AM

Edrach's post on axel's kicks A !! Don't know the guy from a can of paint but that post is the SH..!! Just gotta put my 2 cents in for Skip...Refering people to the old post is a sweet deal. For those that don't know,Skip's been here since 1842 and other's cry where Skip shines. Nice showing Brother. BTW, that's a compliment.

I may have had a cocktail or 6

#10 electryc_monk

electryc_monk

Air-ride Airehead

• Members
  • 1,581 posts
  • Denton, Tx

Posted 04 January 2004 - 11:59 AM

Skip's been here since 1842 and other's cry where Skip shines. Nice showing Brother. BTW, that's a compliment.

So SKip's a Conjourer and created a Subaru for crossing the Ocean Blue? Did he color it too?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users