Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV axle replacement

Hey guys,

Looks like I will be doing an axle replacement here soon on my hatchback. This will be the first one I have done. Up until now I have gotten by just replacing the boots right when they go bad. Even though the boots are all good, the joints are making noise and I have a pretty bad highway vibration. So I have decided to throw a couple of new axles on it. My question is this: My Haynes manual says that when I get the axle/steering knuckle assembly off the car that I have to take it to the dealer to have the axle removed from the steering knuckle. Is this really necessary or is there a way around it? I'd like to do this entire job myself. How have you guys done it? Thanks for your help!

Bill

1987 STD 4WD Hatchback

EA-81 w/hydraulic lifters

Single Range 4WD

Hitachi carb

133,000 miles

I would suggest that you also think about this like lego's with grease involved. your just removing a few items to swap out a single piece, wiping the area clean or a good power wash at the DIY carwash before swapping will minimize the crap that might get into the grease of the hub's bearing areas. and then add some more to them and a little in the seal for good measure.... but them I'm being repetitive now and so I'll stop.

after you do this once the other side will be easier and you'll find a "pattern" to make it less frustrating onyourself too.

have fun dude!

Edrach's post on axel's kicks A !! Don't know the guy from a can of paint but that post is the SH..!! Just gotta put my 2 cents in for Skip...Refering people to the old post is a sweet deal. For those that don't know,Skip's been here since 1842 and other's cry where Skip shines. Nice showing Brother. BTW, that's a compliment.

I may have had a cocktail or 6