Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Has anyone used KYB Gas-A-Just rear struts?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ferox

ferox

King of the Echo People

• Members
  • 852 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:01 AM

I am looking for stiffer rear struts on an ea81 wagon with little to no lift for the time being. I was wondering what people's experiences have been like with the KYB Gas-A-Just? I haven't found anything in my searches.

If that's a no-go then can someone tell me if there is a model of ea82 rear coil-over that was "shorter" than others? Or put another way...did some ea82's come with longer rear struts, so I can avoid them at the junkyard?

I'm probably not going so far as to install a rear anti-sway bar, but suggestions for stiffer struts/suspension with minimal camber changes would be appreciated.

#2 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:47 AM

I am looking for stiffer rear struts on an ea81 wagon with little to no lift for the time being. I was wondering what people's experiences have been like with the KYB Gas-A-Just? I haven't found anything in my searches.

If that's a no-go then can someone tell me if there is a model of ea82 rear coil-over that was "shorter" than others? Or put another way...did some ea82's come with longer rear struts, so I can avoid them at the junkyard?

I'm probably not going so far as to install a rear anti-sway bar, but suggestions for stiffer struts/suspension with minimal camber changes would be appreciated.

I've used that model KYB on my Brat (rears only), all around on my '86 GL, all around on my '91 Legacy (lasted 120K miles and installed my second set this past year). A quality shock for not much money considering how well it works and lasts. I'm using KYB AGXs on my Impreza.

#3 aba4430

aba4430

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Royston, GA

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:21 AM

I installed the gas-a-just KG4183A's on my 87 Brat, sometime in 2004. Excellent shocks for ~$34 a piece. Just noted you asked about struts.........

#4 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:29 AM

i was just thinking about this. my lifted brat rears are softer than i like. i was thinking of airs w/ a small onboard tank for when i'm not around an air source.

#5 ferox

ferox

King of the Echo People

• Members
  • 852 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for your replies. Sounds like the product I am looking for.

Any comments on the difference in ride as compared to a hydraulic unit?

Originally posted by aba4430

Just noted you asked about struts.........

Yes I am really asking about shocks. Thanks for catching that...I hate using the sloppy talk.

#6 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:24 PM

Any comments on the difference in ride as compared to a hydraulic unit?

Originally posted by aba4430

Yes I am really asking about shocks. Thanks for catching that...I hate using the sloppy talk.

Only difference in ride was that the KYBs were a little stiffer. Some people don't like them because they feel too harsh on their daily driver; I think they are just fine.

#7 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,758 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:03 PM

I'm running them on my lowered EA81. I like them, go find some!

#8 ferox

ferox

King of the Echo People

• Members
  • 852 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:00 AM

Awesome. Thanks for the input. I kind of live in the country with lots of curvy country roads...sounds like the exact thing I am looking for.

#9 aba4430

aba4430

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Royston, GA

Posted 21 July 2008 - 03:53 AM

I keep the pressures on my stock size tires (87 Brat) 30 psi all the way around. With the GR2's up front and the gas-a-just's in the rear, the ride is not harsh at all; it is compliant and controlled. Excellent shocks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users