Ultimate Subaru Message Board

planning a swap

Awddrift4

i'm planning a ea-ej swap like i was going before, but i was wondering how much you guys got the parts for [tranny/motor/axles] i'm wanting to swap in 4wd also. and to Numbchux, awesome writeup man

so i'm just looking for a quote on whats reasonable and whats a ripoff on parts

there's a wide range. it could be done for $100 or $1000 just depends on your area and resourcefulness. i can get engines/trans for $150, but other areas they are much harder to come by and price escalates.

it's not hard to find an EJ vehicle very cheap - wrecked, rusted, bad trans, bad engine...etc. i've been offered some freebies before even. that's the easiest way to do a swap anyway, just have the entire vehicle there.

putting a swap together just by using parts is the long way around.

depends a lot on which EJ you want to swap in.

i just paid 4k for an entire sti swap.

but i can get ej 1.8L for 50 bucks right now.

so saying ej series is a little vage, theres a BIG diffence in prices out there lol. there is many versions of the ej motor.

i'd figure out what the closest subaru rich areas are (colorado)? it's not hard to find one that at least runs for $300 - $600. get what you want (engine/trans) and you've got everything in one package. you can have a completely redone and reliable car...timing belts, water pump, timing bearings, seals, valve covers....all for under $1,000.

of course keep your eye open locally, the one thing going for you is they tend to linger longer in areas where subaru's aren't popular. it's like gambling....it's just hit or miss if the perfect vehicle will come available or be cheap.

i'm going for the typical swap of an ej22

and i'm waiting for a legacy to roll by for cheap. i've also been putting into thought of keeping my tranny and just doing a motor swap for now, because i've only seen 1 xt6 in my life, and thats owned by my gf's stepbrother.. and he's not giving it up. i can get a barebones ej22 for about $400 from a local wreck center, but i think i might beable to lower the price