Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Colorado's Roan Plateau A lot of Pics

legacymax

This last saturday, my cousin and I went up on the Roan Plateau outside of Rifle Colorado. The Roan Plateau is also know as the Naval Oil Shale Reserve. 55,186 acres of the Plateau are going to be leased out for natural gas exploration on Aug 14th 2008. We thought we would go see it before the oil companies go in. I was very surprised when I went on top of the plateau as I was expecting a high mountain desert of sage and pinon pine. I was wrong.

We started in the town of Rifle at 95 degrees, rose 4000' within 9 miles (2000' of that in one 2.5 mile section of road) and dropped to 75 degrees. Once we got up there we saw high mountain meadows, aspen and pine forests, and wild flowers everywhere. Not what I expected. There weren't many people up there and most of the traffic we saw were oil workers using the roads to get to private land on top of the Plateau. We drove along the rim road taking has many of the little overgrown side road that we could. One of these road started to head into a canyon and then deadended. We got out of the car and went for hike which all we had to follow was game trails. We came across some cool waterfalls, forests and some stinging nettle.

I took a bunch of pictures so here they are.

The Colorado River 3 miles away and 4000' down

IMG_6320-1.jpg

IMG_6350.jpg

IMG_6132.jpg

IMG_6143.jpg

IMG_6155.jpg

The road getting up there.

IMG_6163.jpg

IMG_6165.jpg

White Columbine

IMG_6181.jpg

our hike and Waterfalls

IMG_6209-1.jpg

IMG_6289.jpg

IMG_6244-1.jpg

IMG_6264.jpg

IMG_6240.jpg

My cave

IMG_6259.jpg

2ft diameter aspen tree. I saw the largest aspen trees I have ever seen on this hike.

IMG_6231-1.jpg

The hatch, stalking us.

IMG_6294-1.jpg

cliffs

IMG_6300.jpg

IMG_6173.jpg

IMG_6350.jpg