Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Coil Spring???

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pearlm30

pearlm30

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Tampa, FL/ Bethlehem, PA

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:30 PM

My strut mounts( 96 legacy outback) are bad, bearings inside were seized. I took the bad ones off, and now I couldnt get the coil spring to compress enough to install the good strut mount. I used the clamp type of coil spring compressor from Frieght Harbor, but it could not do the job right.
Any advice???
Thanks

#2 McDave

McDave

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • Highland Lakes, Texas

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:04 PM

Yes, take them to a shop that has a proper spring compressor before you hurt yourself or break something nearby when it flies apart on you. ;) :)

#3 Reveeen

Reveeen

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Eastern Canada

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:21 PM

I'm not sure I understand what you are doing. Here you use two of those el-cheapo type clamps, one on either side of the spring, compress the spring, undo the nut, take the top off, then put the new top on, tighten the nut, then undo the clamps. No reason to do it any other way unless you are changing the spring.

If you are changing the spring, you insert the clamps 1 spring coil down, on either side of the spring. You tighten each side a bit at a time until you have the spring compressed enough to stick on the top of the strut, and bolt the cap on. The springs themselves index into the seat on the strut side to keep them from turning.

*go slow and easy, if the compressed spring and el-cheapo clamps fly apart you could do yourself a grave injury*

#4 screwbaru2

screwbaru2

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • hope valley

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:08 PM

Are the compressors slipping on you as you tighten them? Tighten each side a little at a time use visegrips as a stop to keep them from sliding. Don't put your face / head directly over the spring while your doing it!!:eek: :popcorn:

#5 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,541 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:34 PM

also don't trap yourself in a corner. If the clamp lets loose, your going to have jump back really fast to get out of the way.

Yes we arent kidding. I think your best choice is what McDave said.

Be careful.

nipper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users