Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My strut mounts( 96 legacy outback) are bad, bearings inside were seized. I took the bad ones off, and now I couldnt get the coil spring to compress enough to install the good strut mount. I used the clamp type of coil spring compressor from Frieght Harbor, but it could not do the job right.

Any advice???

Thanks

I'm not sure I understand what you are doing. Here you use two of those el-cheapo type clamps, one on either side of the spring, compress the spring, undo the nut, take the top off, then put the new top on, tighten the nut, then undo the clamps. No reason to do it any other way unless you are changing the spring.

If you are changing the spring, you insert the clamps 1 spring coil down, on either side of the spring. You tighten each side a bit at a time until you have the spring compressed enough to stick on the top of the strut, and bolt the cap on. The springs themselves index into the seat on the strut side to keep them from turning.

*go slow and easy, if the compressed spring and el-cheapo clamps fly apart you could do yourself a grave injury*

also don't trap yourself in a corner. If the clamp lets loose, your going to have jump back really fast to get out of the way.

Yes we arent kidding. I think your best choice is what McDave said.

Be careful.

nipper