Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1981 DL Hatch

Ive finally found a Hatch for sale in Denver. Im going to look at it this Thursday and most likely buy it. Here is the add:

selling my 1981 subaru dl

left front fender is bad and has some rust along the left door

runs great; 154k on the engine and oil changed regularly

4x4 works and has new tire's with a extra set of tires with studs

must sell, moving from home

I guess its pretty ugly, but that means it can only get better.

Im thinking camelion green paint, everything else blacked out.

This car has an EA81 correct? He said its slow. He has had it 7 years.

only 500 bucks.

Orion:banana:

Im hoping its not rusted out other than the door. Im keeping my fingers crossed. I know its been in CO the past 7 years, just not sure about before then. He said the only reason the door is rusting is cause the weather stripping is gone from the window.

That will be an EA71, single range, 4 speed with the top mount starter. Only thing it's good for is the body. The engine isn't compatible with dual range trannys and the tranny isn't compatible with the EA81. No tach, no oil pressure gauge.... no amenities at all. And with some rust? Yeah I would be passing like a freight train. I might take it if someone GAVE it to me.... and dropped it off. My '83 GL hatch was $250 with a bad clutch cable - not even a year ago.

GD

Im thinking its a GL.

Could be. That would be the first year of the D/R, and the 81/82 D/R has a lower 3rd and 4th gear. Makes them better for lifting.

The headlight setup plain sucks. The big single sealed beams are worthless.

Lots of little differences in the pre-82 stuff. Electrical (lights don't go off with the ign., externally regulated alternator, fuel pump up front, etc), different interior colors. Ugly paint codes too.

But if it's a GL it's worth a look.

GD

He also said it has the white wagon wheels. Its got to be a GL. Any other pointers out there? All I know is my 1986 EA82 buggyroo. I have a spare EA82 DR in the garage, that seems to be a popular swap. And whats with the axles pulling out on the EA81's? Is an upgrade to the EA82s reccomended? Thats good to know about the lights, i might come up with a new front end all together since the grill is missing, and fender is smashed. the exterior of the car is blue with grey interior.

And whats with the axles pulling out on the EA81's? Is an upgrade to the EA82s reccomended?

I don't know what you are referring to here. EA81 axles are fine unless you over-extend them with a lift.... but it's generally the rear that people do that with.

EA82 axles are too long. EA81's are narrower by several inches.

GD

Just because its got wagon wheels doesn't mean it's a GL. Colorado is and was pretty heavy Subie country, so spare like that would be just as easy to come by as they are around here.

Evan if it is a DL, the smaller engine and fewer amenities would make for some great gas mileage numbers. With a weber and some other treatments, I bet it could turn some larger tires just as easily as an EA81. It does have 9.0:1 compression ratio so that would make it able to make more power potentially than the lower CR EA81.

Plus the rust makes it lighter! :cool:

The headlight setup plain sucks. The big single sealed beams are worthless.

GD

The H6054 setup in my 82 wagon works really quite well. The only complaint I would have about it is its slight dimming at low idle. How much light do you really need at low idle?

The dims are more than enough, and the brights are great. Even without the use of the passing light, these lights are plenty for this car.

I would challenge anyone to overdrive these lights, especially considering the fact that they are strapped to the front of a vehicle powered by an EA81.

Here is what the guy said in an e-mail "no it is a hatch-back and it does have 4-wheel high and low". So if it has 4-low does it have to have an EA81? Or can it have the EA71 still?

I for some reason thought that EA81 axles were a weak point. How Much does a Hatch weigh, around 3000lbs?

with a 27 year old subaru you never know what it has until you actually see it... somebody could have swapped a lot of stuff on/off of it... it could be a DL with an ea81 and d/r sporting ea82 wagon wheels... you just never know...

oh, and for the record, quad headlights are ugly... c(:

--Spiffy