Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

lift discounts?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 03 January 2004 - 09:54 PM

I didn't want to hijack the other thread, so Snowman, if you're serious about lifting in the spring, we should look at seeing if PK Davis can send both of our kits at the same time and save some on the postage. I wouldn't think he'd discount for only 2 lifts, but if Torxx were interested,maybe he'd give us a discount on 3? Anyway, it'd be a good weekend project to put 2 or 3 lifts on in one weekend with Jon's assistance. Let me know what you think, and PK, if you happen to see this , what do you think about a volume discount? Torxx, you in?

#2 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 03 January 2004 - 09:57 PM

And Snowman, thanks for the compliment on my Brat, but I don't think it'd do allthat well. It looks good for Alaska standards, but it's too dinged up for WA and OR. I'm sure RichieRich had it there before, and I haven't heard that it did anything special. But thanks. I'm trying to keep it in good order.

#3 incognito

incognito

Banned

• Banned
  • 441 posts
  • Eagle River

Posted 03 January 2004 - 10:04 PM

3 in a weekend... HELL YEAH! sounds like a freekin blast!!

#4 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 03 January 2004 - 10:20 PM

Yeah I think I may be down with that..
what is the lift size and whats the cost gonna be so I can start planning for it now

#5 incognito

incognito

Banned

• Banned
  • 441 posts
  • Eagle River

Posted 03 January 2004 - 10:30 PM

northguy u were sayin somethin about NAC having a flat rate?

3 lifts... thats about 100+ pounds easily.

#6 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 03 January 2004 - 11:10 PM

NAClink charged me 52 bucks for the first 55 lbs when Ed sent me the wheels. I'm sure it goes on a sliding scale and 3 lifts on NAClink would be less expensive than one at a time. Torxx, if you're serious about the lift, visit PK Davis's website. He's got a wide variety of options at pretty reasonable prices.

#7 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 04 January 2004 - 04:16 AM

I'm for sure going to do the lift this spring, and I think it would go a lot smoother doing three cars in a row and having more people there. We should REALLY get ahold of an impact wrench to do this job, because those ea82 rear strut top bolts don't like to come off without a lot of persuasion.

#8 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 04 January 2004 - 04:51 AM

ya I hear you on those bolts, I spent 10 min sitting on a 3ft breaker bar for each bolt, all the way from breaking until they came out. The bolts were so hot they burnt me when I finally got them out :eek:

#9 incognito

incognito

Banned

• Banned
  • 441 posts
  • Eagle River

Posted 04 January 2004 - 05:08 PM

my ea82 was a shocked rear....

the hard part of the lift is making sure you dont strip any body mounts like i did... when u lift a subaru for the first time u get overexcited (least i did) and tried to force bolts in.. resulting in stripped threads and alot more work.

i can get ahold of air and hand tools.

northguy for garage?

#10 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 04 January 2004 - 05:32 PM

I've got a garage, tools, an impact, a spare bedroom for Torxx if he needs it, .... I might need some specialty Subaru tools (if they are needed) and a larger compressor. Mine is pretty small but good enough for changing tires and such. Probably a good excuse to upgrade. Figure we'd probably start on Torxx's rig since he's from out of town and if he runs into problems it'll give him ample time to get things straightened out. Anybody else have ideas? Access to a larger compressor? Other tools?

#11 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 06 January 2004 - 03:40 AM

That sounds good. Now, does somebody want to step up and contact PK Davis about getting the lifts and seeing if we can get them shipped here cheap? I would do it if nobody else wants to, but I don't really know anything about shipping companies, etc. due to my lack of experience (hey, I'm only 17;) ).

As for tools, I don't think any specialy tools are needed. I have a pretty complete set in my car already, but I can bring my gear wrenches, hammers, saws, tap and die set in case of stripped holes, prybars, and what-have-you as well. If it would be helpful, I've also been considering buying a floor jack, and I would go ahead and do it if it would be helpful.

#12 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 06 January 2004 - 08:21 AM

Ke;;y, I already got in touch with PK - what a guy. Said he'd give us a discount for multiple orders. I already have a floor jack. Torque wrench?

#13 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 06 January 2004 - 11:23 AM

If'n you weren't so far away, You would be set to do it with everything @ home
4 post lift, 2 stage compressor, torque wrenches, IMPACT WRENCHES air tools, welder, cutting torch, just about everything you would need

#14 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 06 January 2004 - 04:23 PM

Oh, I didn't think about a torque wrench. Does anybody know what the bolts need to be torqued to? The reason I ask is that I've already got a small one, but if we need a big one (I know I will sometime...) then I could go ahead and buy it with my student discount from Snap-On, Mac, Napa, or Craftsman.

#15 incognito

incognito

Banned

• Banned
  • 441 posts
  • Eagle River

Posted 06 January 2004 - 04:56 PM

torque wrench.. hmm.. dont have one of those.. looks ike im gettin a new toy.. :D

Snowman - Haynes (underwear) manual should have it referenced somewhere if i remember right. key word: if.

#16 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 07 January 2004 - 02:52 AM

I got the haynes.. What numbers are you lookin 4?

#17 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 07 January 2004 - 03:05 AM

Also, where is the stuff from PK Davis being shipped from? My old roommate's dad works for Alaska Airlines and I'm pretty sure I could get them to ship it for me, and it would be really cheap to do it that way..

#18 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 07 January 2004 - 08:20 AM

Torxxx, if you have an "in", a discount on air front, you can be the go to guy. But it might be cheaper to have it air freighted to Anchorage and Kelly,or I can pick it up there. Do you want to do the inversigation on the cost? Each set, I'm told is between 43 and 52 lbs. (x3), depending on which set up.

#19 P K

P K

Devil Dog Liaison

• Members
  • 1,171 posts
  • Omicron Persei Diego

Posted 07 January 2004 - 10:57 AM

Kits are 38-43 lbs each, and would be coming out of San Diego.
r/PK

#20 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 07 January 2004 - 11:18 AM

Oops, sorry, PK.

#21 incognito

incognito

Banned

• Banned
  • 441 posts
  • Eagle River

Posted 07 January 2004 - 01:43 PM

PK no trucking this time :D

#22 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 07 January 2004 - 09:51 PM

On the torque figures: I've got Haynes and Chiltons, and will have the FSM by then. I was just wondering if anybody knew if there were even torque specs at all, or if like most chassis stuff you just get it really freakin' tight.

#23 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 07 January 2004 - 09:55 PM

San Deigo eh? I'll see if Alaska has any flights goin down there..
If they do, I may be able to get it shipped Air frieght for really cheap or even Goldstreaked.....

#24 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 07 January 2004 - 10:00 PM

YES!
Alaska Airlines does do cargo out of San Deigo...
I'm gonna see my old roommate this weekend so I will talk to him about this..
So about 50 pounds/kit correct?

#25 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 07 January 2004 - 10:34 PM

Torxxx, PK's reply stated 38 - 42 per set depending on which one. I might add a bit more for packaging. But cool, I'll be interested to see if you can swing a deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users