Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lift discounts?

northguy

Wow, Jon. Chill a bit, guy. I'm sure PK will do us right. And I find this hard to believe, especially coming from a guy who hashad a line in his signature honoring PK Davis. I'm sure you're just having a tough time right now dealing with something. If I can help, let me know.

Skidplate spacers come with the EA81 kit, but not the EA82 because of demand. Jon, I know you have asked for the spacer about 5 times, and I said I was going to get it done. It is just an 18 inch long piece of .120 wall 2x3 box tubing. I cut them like a trapezoid for appearance, and drill the holes to match. I thought you and others could wing it and do it yourselves.

\__________________/

I haven’t had time (in the last 6 months, I know LOL). I will try to include them with new kits, and offer them for a small fee to others without.

As far as the price goes, there is no sizable profit in building these. After you price raw steel (new, not scrap), graded metric bolts ($), zinc plating, printing, packaging and shipping costs, royalties to BYB, and about 10-12 hours labor each – I get to enjoy making minimum wage. Oh yeah, I forgot investments in the MIG, drill press, grinder, saws, expendable weld rod, drill bits, cutoff wheels and grinding disks, electricity and shop costs… all in my free time after working my normal 40 hour week.

If I didn’t enjoy this, I would be a Greeter at Wal-Mart and make more money.

Respectfully, Patrick ‘PK’ Davis.

PK:

I would definitely like to get one of those skidplate spacers with my lift if at all possible. I would even be willing to pay extra for one, rather than spending the time myself, especially if it can help increase your profit any as a means of saying thank you.

Fellow Alaskans:

Another thing that all of us might want to start pondering, or if anybody who has lifted their car already has suggestions, is what to do with the shifter, 4wd lever, and exhaust so that they can remain close to their respective places. It looks like the shifter would be fine but may require some trimming of the surrounding plastic panel to avoid interference during spirited driving, the 4wd lever will need to be bent upward, and I will probably cut my exhaust right after the first cat and either re-weld or use a flex-pipe to hook that section up to the rest, which will remain where it is.

Yes, most of the EA82 kit buyers do not have skidplates. Most of the EA81 kits do, and I have been making it standard there.

I will make it an option for the EA82 from here forward, and include it when asked, for $10. If Jonathon still requires one in the spring, I will throw an extra one in or him at that time.

cheers, PK

Just an FYI PK. I have a lifted EA82. Zap gave me a lift block off an EA81 lift for my car for the skid plate. It worked just fine. So you don't have to figure anything new out. Even the bolts were the right size.

Also, i have some stock steering shafts, want them?

Tex/Chris. You da man. Can you confirm that the the three mounting holes were also perfectly correct for the EA82? That was my main concern, as my 90 Loyale EA82 did not have a plate, and I haven't been to a junkyard in many, many months.

Yes, I 'll take the steering shafts, and reward your efforts.

thanks, PK

3" lifts do not require you to alter the shift linkages, and the exhaust stays tucked up real nice like stock. Thats for EA81, and 3" only. 4" and EA82 I am not sure about.

The lift kits are WELL worth every penny spent, and PK deserves more than what he charges for them. Jon, i would apreciate it if you would show alittle more gratitude when it comes to posting on this message board.

Ditto on the linkages PK, there are also 4 new Legacy's in the yard if you want Legacy linkages, let me know and i'll have them sent to you.

-Brian

The instructions that PK Provides are the original BYB instructions and aren't as clear as some would like. In reality, the lift installation is pretty cut and dry, and most of it can be overcome with common sence. Definatly ask questions, i will also be willing to discuss some of the problems I had, and how to overcome them durring the lift installation.

There are also pictures of my lift installation on my webpage as well.

-Brian

Snowman, Torxxx has said he needs an EA83, 3" kit. I'm looking at an EA81, 3" kit, and I assume you're after the same as Torxxx. Is that correct? Just trying to finalize this so I can get a price from Patrick and start to look at shipping options.

Torxxx, what did you find out about air freight on AK airlines? Is your connection going to pan out? Let me know. I'm anxious t get this going.

From the PM's I've received and the posts here, along with the local pros, it looks like we'll be able to pull this off without a hitch. Maybe by the time we get to the third one, we can make an instructional video the PK can include as part of his marketing. (We'll have to find someone to take my place - no one wants to see my ugly mug.:D ) But seriously, if there were a person to pull this off (the video) it would have to be Zapar - he's installed 7 of them, and he's already skilled with the camera.

Hmmm.... video sounds neat. I bet we could do a lot better than those guys on Trucks TV and stuff. It would probably be a lot more popular if we got some hot girls to do the install in the video instead of us.

Yes, I am looking for the 3" lift for ea82.

Another question: Does anybody that's going to be in on this have access to a spring compressor? I would like to turn up the rear spring preload on my struts while we're doing this, and the compressor makes it a heck of a lot easier. Last time, I improvised with cables and hooks and stuff, and that took a really long time to figure out.

I talked with my roommate and he said that his dad could only do the freight thing if its sent to his Dad himself..

So if we were gonna do that, I could get it to Cordova, Alaska and then have his dad ship it up here to me, and I can bring it down to Anchorage