Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat guage cluster removal questions

I have to yank the cluster to change the oil pressure guage. The service manual I'm working out of says to lower the steering column and remove the steering wheel. Is that really necessary?

Also, are there any "hidden" screws, etc I need to get to so I don't crack the bezel or the cluster?

How bad is the speedo cable to disconnect or re-connect for that matter? Is there enough slack in it to get at it when the cluster is free of its dash mounting or do I need to reach up from under the dash to unclip it first? Is it just a friction fit/push-on, does it screw on the speedo, or is there some other type of clip holding it on?

Finally, once I'm at the O/P guage are there any types of multimeter reading I can do on it to verify its integrity?

Any other advice for cluster removal would be appreciated.

I have to yank the cluster to change the oil pressure guage. The service manual I'm working out of says to lower the steering column and remove the steering wheel. Is that really necessary?

Pull the steering wheel - the column can stay if you have a GL with tilt and can lower it as far as it will go. If it's a DL then you'll want to drop it. It's only two bolts anyway so no big deal.

Also, are there any "hidden" screws, etc I need to get to so I don't crack the bezel or the cluster?

Behind the rubber button in front of your left knee, behind two plastic bits on the left and right vent's that are installed with double-stick tape, and one more behind the right inner vent.

How bad is the speedo cable to disconnect or re-connect for that matter? Is there enough slack in it to get at it when the cluster is free of its dash mounting or do I need to reach up from under the dash to unclip it first? Is it just a friction fit/push-on, does it screw on the speedo, or is there some other type of clip holding it on?

It's a friction fit, push-on variety. It's usually necessary to reach up under the dash and pull it free.

Finally, once I'm at the O/P guage are there any types of multimeter reading I can do on it to verify its integrity?

The gauge is adjustable for zeroing, but other than that they are not serviceable. You can put 12v to it and see that it rises and falls. Most likely if you are having problems with it you have a faulty sender or wire. The gauges rarely go bad. And frankly they suck anyway and a regular mechanical pressure gauge would be better. The gauge comes out the front of the cluster once you remove the nuts holding it to the PCB and the plastic cover's.

Any other advice for cluster removal would be appreciated.

It's pretty simple really. Just start pulling screws.

GD